Dot-Bit Test Suite?

biolizard89

Dot-Bit Test Suite?

Post by biolizard89 »

I brought this up on the IRC, but I might as well bring it up here too. At the moment testing FreeSpeechMe has become a bit tedious since there are a lot of different .bit features which could independently break. I think it would be useful to develop a .bit test suite, basically an HTML page that iframes a bunch of test .bit domains, so that we can easily detect when an implementation is deviating from the spec. This would also help us develop an objective way to evaluate the comparative compliance of various implementations, e.g. nmcontrol, FreeSpeechMe, NamecoinToBind, Speech.is, etc.

As a side note, this would also quite possibly be capable of doing a couple of bits of fingerprinting the .bit implementation in use. Presumably this isn't a big deal unless you're using Tor (which is already known to not be properly supported).

Thoughts?
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob

Re: Dot-Bit Test Suite?

Post by domob »

That would be great, IMHO! Or at least set up a bunch of .bit names to have different characteristics (invalid certificate, resolve via .onion, and so on) and publish the list somewhere easy to find.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

I wonder how hard it would be to make such a test suite use AJAX, so that the results could be automatically determined and displayed without iframes. I think CORS is the only thing necessary for that. This could be adapted to perform automated tests via continuous integration of the GitHub repo.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

indolering

Post by indolering »

Hands down, the best way to do this is to either use Slenium/Webdriver or Casper.js (which can drive both WebKit and Gecko-based browsers). I like Casper as it is headless and I can write quick unit tests in Javascript.

However, you should probably go with Webdriver as it has bindings for Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Python, and Perl and the sponsoring company provides unlimited testing for FOSS projects.

Real unit tests, no need to fuck around with iframes/CORS/sing-origin-policy/JS injection, and you can test it across every browser there is (I know they used to allow for addons...).

We could setup test.namecoin.info and put our acid tests there.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

indolering wrote:Hands down, the best way to do this is to either use Slenium/Webdriver or Casper.js (which can drive both WebKit and Gecko-based browsers). I like Casper as it is headless and I can write quick unit tests in Javascript.

However, you should probably go with Webdriver as it has bindings for Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Python, and Perl and the sponsoring company provides unlimited testing for FOSS projects.

Real unit tests, no need to fuck around with iframes/CORS/sing-origin-policy/JS injection, and you can test it across every browser there is (I know they used to allow for addons...).

We could setup test.namecoin.info and put our acid tests there.
To my knowledge Selenium will only test browser-based solutions, i.e. it won't test stuff like nmcontrol and NamecoinToBind. Using AJAX+CORS should be able to work with anything that implements .bit, right? Will AJAX mess up stuff like Speech.is? Also, I like the idea of users being able to test their configuration (particularly when we put more emphasis on "private mode" resolution, TLS enforcement, and multiple resolvers, all of which have user settings, so users will be able to make sure their configuration is what they intend).

indolering

Post by indolering »

biolizard89 wrote:
To my knowledge Selenium will only test browser-based solutions, i.e. it won't test stuff like nmcontrol and NamecoinToBind.
I don't understand, a webpage with iFrames entails using a browser to perform testing.

If it's not happening in the browser then it should be tested using whatever protocol is native to that platform.
biolizard89 wrote: Using AJAX+CORS should be able to work with anything that implements .bit, right?
Yes, but that doesn't make it any less of a PITA.
biolizard89 wrote: Will AJAX mess up stuff like Speech.is?
As long as they are using relative links, it should be fine.
biolizard89 wrote: Also, I like the idea of users being able to test their configuration (particularly when we put more emphasis on "private mode" resolution, TLS enforcement, and multiple resolvers, all of which have user settings, so users will be able to make sure their configuration is what they intend).
This setup does not preclude end user tests, but I would suggest that the application test itself without human intervention.

However, I agree that a debugging page is very useful (I've got one at bits.name right now) but if you are going to build a test suite .... I was thinking more along the lines of unit tests.

At any rate, whatever you build will be useful.

indolering

Post by indolering »

Let me expand on Ajax and CORS:

It sucks to have to program them with them, it's hell to do so in a cross-platform manner (IE/Safari/FF/Chrome/Android/iPhone), and CORS means you have to keep a specific server setup as well, frames makes shit really confusing.

I would choose writing generic unit tests to writing Ajax calls any day of the week ツ

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Yeah, so I think both Selenium-based tests and end-user tests would be good to have. I'll probably play around with end-user tests first, just because I'm more used to them.

indolering

Post by indolering »

Yeah, frames are a black box if loaded from an origin other than the parent browsing context. You cannot inspect the page directly, you have to do browser-level injection at which point you have to use either PhantomJS or Selenium anyway. So you might as well just write a Selenium test which visits the pages in sequence.