Promotional and explanatory video (WeUseCoins style)

Deafboy

Promotional and explanatory video (WeUseCoins style)

Post by Deafboy »

I was just thinking recently about how weusecoins video helped with promotion of bitcoin in the past. As far as I know, there is no such video for Namecoin.
If we want people to know and understand the countless possibilities of NMC, we have to present it in a simple and accessible way.

I have no previous experience with this kind of work, but I found this simple to use toolkit for Adobe After Effects.

I'll also try to contact Weusecoins people and see if they are willing to provide us with material from their original video.
I'd prefer if all material is available under some permissive license, but If we for some reason cannot use weusecoins materials, I'll buy the license for toolkit mentioned above. It's like 7,4 NMC at the moment anyway :)

Next I'm going to write a basic script containing the introduction and explanation of basic features of NMC and put it online later so anyone can edit it.
Do we have an official working wiki? I heard about some dot-bit replacement currently hosted on github, but everything about NMC development is so messy right now so I'm not sure :P

What's still missing however, is the good voice actor. I have no clue how to get in touch with this kind of people. If you know someone personally, know where to easily hire them or have anything else to say about this proposal please share your opinion in this topic or on IRC.

indolering

Re: Promotional and explanatory video (WeUseCoins style)

Post by indolering »

Make sure to emphasize the censorship-resistant aspects of Namecoin. The censorship provisions of SOPA, PIPA, and the TPP all rely technologies which Namecoin is designed to get around.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

domob

Post by domob »

I really appreciate your efforts here! While I don't think I'm good with this kind of stuff and don't have enough time, if you have a finished proposal for the script, I'll happily read it and give suggestions. Apart from that, I think that you should indeed focus on the aspects like censorship-resistance (since domain seizures actually are done on a not too small scale, also with political motivations - see wikileaks). Other interesting things: Identities (sharing public keys with human-readable names, NameID-style logins), bonds & shares, .bit TLS to get rid of the flawed current CA system. Not sure how easily all of these can be explained in an introductory video, though.

If you create a good video that gets the approval of the community and is licensed "free" as in freedom (CC BY-SA, not NC; or GNU FDL), I'll put up a bounty of 10 NMC for you. (I know this is not too much for what you want to do, but at least it is a little token of appreciation.)
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

indolering

Post by indolering »

domob wrote: If you create a good video that gets the approval of the community and is licensed "free" as in freedom (CC BY-SA, not NC; or GNU FDL), I'll put up a bounty of 10 NMC for you. (I know this is not too much for what you want to do, but at least it is a little token of appreciation.)
Go file a ticket on the Namecoin repo and throw the bounty on BountySource : )

Deafboy

Post by Deafboy »

Just a quick update. I have started working on a script for the video.
In the first part I'd like to focus on brief introduction (backed by BTC mining power, based on blockchain), and on some of the problems NMC is trying to solve (DNS, SSL, IDs). In the next part I'll try to show how easy it is to use it. Hopefully there will be some tools to easily and reliably resolve domain names before the project is finished :)

Feel free to contribute, edit, reorganize or remove anything:
https://etherpad.mozilla.org/sb8dszwbLf

indolering

Post by indolering »

Maybe you should try breaking this into a different segments and making a video for each. That way you can do it more piecemeal : )

And I was being serious, create a ticket on Github and then one on BountySource. I would like to get you some real funding but it's much easier to do it this way.

domob

Post by domob »

indolering wrote:And I was being serious, create a ticket on Github and then one on BountySource. I would like to get you some real funding but it's much easier to do it this way.
Ok, the issue is here: https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin.info/issues/11

I tried to create a Bounty on BountySource, but it only allows me to specify the bounty in USD ... at least unless I miss something. Not everyone is living in the US, and especially in this case, I don't even want EUR but instead 10 NMC. Can I just specify an "arbitrary" USD amount and write somewhere that it actually is 10 NMC? How does the payment work upon resolution?
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

indolering

Post by indolering »

Oh, hey: http://bitfilm.com/

Deafboy, want to get a quote from them?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

domob wrote:
indolering wrote:And I was being serious, create a ticket on Github and then one on BountySource. I would like to get you some real funding but it's much easier to do it this way.
Ok, the issue is here: https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin.info/issues/11

I tried to create a Bounty on BountySource, but it only allows me to specify the bounty in USD ... at least unless I miss something. Not everyone is living in the US, and especially in this case, I don't even want EUR but instead 10 NMC. Can I just specify an "arbitrary" USD amount and write somewhere that it actually is 10 NMC? How does the payment work upon resolution?
BountySource holds the bounty money in escrow until the bounty is claimed (or maybe expired?). Right now they only take USD but they're planning on adding Bitcoin via Coinbase. Reportedly this will be out within a week or so.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5