[SPEC] Domain name specification

sugarpuff

Re: [SPEC] Domain name specification

Post by sugarpuff »

biolizard89 wrote:It does not provide any functionality which Namecoin's d/ namespace does not provide. It just makes Namecoin's d/ namespace somewhat more interoperable with DNSSEC-supporting software.
Gotcha, thank you. As I'm somewhat of the opinion that DNSSEC belongs in the pooper (for the good mankind), I guess this means that I shouldn't pay much attention to it.

pmc

Post by pmc »

sugarpuff wrote: The RFC is quite long, and the wiki is too short; perhaps you could help clarify something: what extra functionality does DANE offer that Namecoin by itself does not already provide?
I know the question has already been answered, but it seems what I was getting at didn't get through.

1. DANE allows client software to validate server certificates through DNS instead of using CAs.
2. NMC provides an alternative way to register + publish domain names and their content records.

Put these two things together by publishing certificate fingerprints in NMC and providing a NMC->DNS/DANE gateway for clients. Then every DANE-supporting client software can validate certificates through NMC, without modifications.

jprider63

Post by jprider63 »

Can I suggest we consider adding a static field? This would enable an optimization to tell browsers not to send session information like cookies to that subdomain. You can find some discussion about it here:

http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1285

sugarpuff

Post by sugarpuff »

pmc wrote:
sugarpuff wrote: The RFC is quite long, and the wiki is too short; perhaps you could help clarify something: what extra functionality does DANE offer that Namecoin by itself does not already provide?
I know the question has already been answered, but it seems what I was getting at didn't get through.

1. DANE allows client software to validate server certificates through DNS instead of using CAs.
2. NMC provides an alternative way to register + publish domain names and their content records.

Put these two things together by publishing certificate fingerprints in NMC and providing a NMC->DNS/DANE gateway for clients. Then every DANE-supporting client software can validate certificates through NMC, without modifications.
Thanks for the quick summary pmc! It sounds like DNSNMC can play the role of that "NMC->DNS/DANE gateway"?

Pagel1928

Post by Pagel1928 »

With just straight DNS using nmcontrol you can already do TLSA/DANE lookups:

Code: Select all

dig TLSA _443._tcp.lolicore.bit +short
3 0 1 660008F91C07DCF9058CDD5AD2BAF6CC9EAE0F912B8B54744CB7643D 7621B787