khal wrote:There are some other possibilities we can investigate to limit bad content in namecoin (except for the size of the field) :
Let us see the possibilities.
* find the magic formula for the price of a name (not too cheap, not too expensive)
Of course. I will come back to this by the fees thread.
* do a generic analysis of the content of the field :
- I do not want to force some spec/formats in the blockchain, ex: restriting id/ to json, etc => bad idea. It is not the role of the blockchain.
- But we can define some general rules to avoid binary data only
ie: if size < 1k & more than 50% binary data => rejected by the blockchain
ie: if size > 1k & everything is binary => rejected by the blockchain
* Binary data can cost more
How do you want to check if it is binary data and not a Unicode text ?
And how do you want to check the percentage of a value entry ?
This is possible in a file system or in a usual database if the property of the data is set correctly or there is a header which identifies it. Otherwise I don't know how could work.
If it would work then there would be no virus in .txt file which is not detected by the best virus scanners.
Compression/decompression is trivial as an alone standing program but:
- the RSA/DSA key must be in a specific format to work optimal
- to be automatically enforced every specific key must be recognizable (for ex the value fields must have the same name)
- to encode in a special environment could be eventually a little bit more difficult because any attack factor must be avoided in the client
We should avoid another confusion.
We are speaking about the size of the value field or about the size of a name entry(which has more value fiels) ?
Of course a picture can be inserted even in 0.5KB.
But what is the quality ?
Why should somebody look on pictures of 5KB ? (when adult sites are giving free picture samples of 1 MB and 20 MB if payed - and on tor that could be any kind of picture)
And how should somebody look on it ? By writing a special software for the purpose to extract and visualize his own 5KB pictures from the blockchain ? This is absurd as user case(only to compromise the blockchain can have its purpose - and knowing this has lost his attack value).
Even if we would reduce the size of the value field and name entry to less then Bitcoin a much bigger picture can be introduced in directly in the block(if somebody finds a block-a miner).
So the size of the value field could be as big as the block because there is not much difference.
Who wants to look the picture would require a special software. The standard client and block explorer doesn't support picture view from a value field or from the blockchain.
A text in the value field could however have some low quality obscene pictures as text-pictures which is shown in the block-explorer. This could be worse if the size is increasing - but could be solved also with encryption.
But I don't think under 4-5k this would be a problem even without encryption.
But let us be really carefully and we should go for sure and increase in two steps.
- this year we could increase to 2-2.5 KB
- in 1/2 year or 1 year to 4-5 KB if they are no problems