Project still maintained?

cpengr

Project still maintained?

Post by cpengr »

Hi all,

I've been using Bitcoin for a while, and recently started mining.

I see that the FAQ at Slush's pool says:
Can I mine namecoins here?

No, merged mining of namecoins has been suspended as the Namecoin project isn't maintained anymore.
(Emphasis mine.)

Is this true?

biolizard89

Re: Project still maintained?

Post by biolizard89 »

cpengr wrote:Hi all,

I've been using Bitcoin for a while, and recently started mining.

I see that the FAQ at Slush's pool says:
Can I mine namecoins here?

No, merged mining of namecoins has been suspended as the Namecoin project isn't maintained anymore.
(Emphasis mine.)

Is this true?
There has been significant work done recently related to Namecoin, including NameID (website signin using an identity in the Namecoin blockchain), Convergence for Namecoin (allowing safe usage of self-signed TLS certificates, verified against the Namecoin blockchain), and Namecoin-Qt (similar to Bitcoin-Qt). The former two of these are applications of Namecoin rather than the main client, but Namecoin-Qt definitely (in my opinion) qualifies as "maintaining the Namecoin project."

It is possible that Slush's statement was written prior to Namecoin-Qt being released (there was something like a year of no updates to the Namecoin client, prior to Namecoin-Qt).

That said, Namecoin would definitely benefit from some additional C++ coders. Most of the core code is based on Bitcoin 0.3.x; our top priority is to rebase that against the current Bitcoin code. khal is in charge of that effort right now, but he has limited time. If I recall correctly he's currently up to 0.4. If you know of any C++ coders who have some experience with the Bitcoin or Namecoin core code (or who are quick at learning), feel free to ask them if they're willing to help us out with the rebase.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

virtual_master

Re: Project still maintained?

Post by virtual_master »

Hi. Welcome on the Namecoin Forum.
Namecoin has brought more innovative features than any other alt-coins. This year also.
Last year Khal have done almost alone the complete work and he didn't had time to make marketing and propaganda for the network.
So must namecoiners have discovered alone Namecoin.
Now also a couple of people from here are working on the rebase of the client.
By Namecoin they are a lot of use cases which can be developed and more development work is necessary. To use Namecoins as payment is just one possibility between many others.
By altcoins where the destination is only the payment they make much more marketing and create the impression as it would be better maintained but it is not the case.
May be we need a marketing manager or something similar to inform the users about the implemented and usable Namecoin features.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S