Newbie looking to get involved

jprider63

Re: Newbie looking to get involved

Post by jprider63 »

biolizard89 wrote: Okay, I see what you're saying. Would an acceptable workaround be to use mail.www.example.com (included), docs.www.example.com (included), and static.example.com (excluded)?
Apparently not. The current standard for most large companies is to purchase a separate domain name for static content. I imagine most companies feel that doing so would be too verbose for their users.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

jprider63 wrote:
biolizard89 wrote: Okay, I see what you're saying. Would an acceptable workaround be to use mail.www.example.com (included), docs.www.example.com (included), and static.example.com (excluded)?
Apparently not. The current standard for most large companies is to purchase a separate domain name for static content. I imagine most companies feel that doing so would be too verbose for their users.
Okay, so I think I'm fine with something like this being added to the Dot-Bit spec... that said, limiting it to cookies might not be the best way to do it. Maybe a "noheaders" field, which contains an array of HTTP request headers which should not be sent? That way you can remove cookies as well as stuff like content negotiation which also uses a decent number of bytes.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

jprider63

Post by jprider63 »

biolizard89 wrote: Okay, so I think I'm fine with something like this being added to the Dot-Bit spec... that said, limiting it to cookies might not be the best way to do it. Maybe a "noheaders" field, which contains an array of HTTP request headers which should not be sent? That way you can remove cookies as well as stuff like content negotiation which also uses a decent number of bytes.
That sounds like a good idea as far as I can tell. Also, if you define "noheaders", it should probably apply to all subdomains of that map.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

jprider63 wrote:
biolizard89 wrote: Okay, so I think I'm fine with something like this being added to the Dot-Bit spec... that said, limiting it to cookies might not be the best way to do it. Maybe a "noheaders" field, which contains an array of HTTP request headers which should not be sent? That way you can remove cookies as well as stuff like content negotiation which also uses a decent number of bytes.
That sounds like a good idea as far as I can tell. Also, if you define "noheaders", it should probably apply to all subdomains of that map.
Applying it to subdomains of the specified domain seems reasonable, as long as it can be overridden if specified for the subdomain explicitly. Unless anyone has objections?
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5