New size of the value field

sugarpuff

Re: New size of the value field

Post by sugarpuff »

biolizard89: at phelix's request, I've forked our convo to this thread, feel free to join me there: https://dot-bit.bit/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1333

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

sugarpuff wrote: Is the current limit a real problem? If not, why are we attempting to fix something that is not broken?
How about we wait until we have a really good reason for increasing the field size before doing it?
Yes. It is. Because there is no place for 4k GPG keys. And this is a good reason to increase the size.
sugarpuff wrote: Here are some potential (and real) problems with increasing it now:
  • It takes a long time to bring up new clients because they have a lot of catching up to do.
  • It takes a long time to bring up DNS servers because they have a lot of catching up to do.
They have nothing to do more than now if they don't need GPG keys.
sugarpuff wrote: [*] Storage space is cheap, and getting cheaper, but bandwidth capacity and price is not following the same curve (I don't think).
May be not the same curve but bandwidth capacity is still increasing very quickly over the time.
At the end of the nineties it was still the 64 kbaud the highest speed now since longer time 100 Mbaud it is standard.
In one generation we will have not gigabauds but terabauds.
sugarpuff wrote: [*] We might no longer be keeping up pace with Moore's law (see wikipedia: "However, the 2010 update to the International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors has growth slowing at the end of 2013"). We'll likely encounter this with storage space too (there is, after all, a physical limit).[/list]
So, before we create new problems for ourselves (unnecessarily, I might add), how about we address the issues above and elsewhere first, and then if we actually need, talk about increasing the size of the blockchain.
This was not due to physical limit problem just a consequence of the tsunami and other natural-catastrophes in Taiwan and in Japan.
But even if we reach a limit in the size of transistors and the physical limit with this technologies they are already other technologies waiting like bio-chips, quantum computing.
And if the quantum computing will reach its limits then will come something new (like super-string computing :D ).
So don't worry about the storage limits in the future.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

As I think was stated previously; the fees for a large name will be higher than for the equivalent amount of storage in small names. So it cannot be used to spam the blockchain. It only makes it easier for applications to handle certain use cases.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5