What next? [Namecoin Roadmap]

phelix

What next? [Namecoin Roadmap]

Post by phelix »

New version here: https://github.com/namecoin/meta/blob/master/roadmap.md
  • Client
    • Rebase
      • Libcoin
      • or on a more recent Bitcoin/Altcoin version? (how would we stay up to date?)
    • Find consensus on strategic changes
      • fees (also destroying coins)
      • value size
  • Marketing
    • Improve the wiki
      • Port missing pages from the old wiki
      • Beginner manual ("getting started")
        • browsing
        • setting up domains
    • Activate namecoin.org
    • Get more websites on .bit (maybe as an additional shortcut domain)
    • Make Tornames more known (example page, maybe with TLS?)
    • Improve the website
  • Easy browsing
    • Firefox plugin
      • Enable with Tor Bundle
      • Lightweight mode
        • API server
        • New mode for plugin
        • Semi safe data via Merkle tree and blockheaders
      • Background redirection to legacy domains (coolsite.bit --> coolsite.freedomainhoster.com)
    • Installers
      • NMControl
      • Namecoin Core
  • Namecoin projects
    Have some fun and continue looking for the killer application.
    • Make atomic name trading easier (GUI?)
    • Name browser via NMControl http GUI
    • IDs
    • WOT
    • File signing
    • Even further Bitmessage integration (replace all by IDs?)
    • Electrum integration (should be relatively easy to do)
  • Bounties
    Suggestions? There is some money in NMDF and should need be we could also mobilize some of these: http://dot-bit.org/Namecoin_DNS:Site_support
[edited]
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

virtual_master

Re: What next?

Post by virtual_master »

phelix wrote:* Marketing
Make the new GUI version more known.
Get more websites on .bit (maybe as an additional shortcut domain)
New projects (NameID, TLS, ...)

* Easy browsing
Using the firefox plugin?
Better manual on the wiki for beginners.

* bounties ?
There is some money in NMDF and also I hope we can mobilize some of these $600: http://dot-bit.org/Namecoin_DNS:Site_support

* rebasing
We could combine all of them by giving the users/donators the possibility to decide the development direction.
We could start some voting threads here and on bitcointalk.org with multiple BTC and NMC donation addresses for the project.
Each BTC/NMC pair would be for bounties to finance one specific project and a general donation address for those who want to donate without deciding the direction.
for ex.
- one BTC/NMC address for general Namecoin development
- one BTC/NMC address for Namecoin client development
- one BTC/NMC address for better .bit browser support (Firefox and Chrome together or with different donation addresses)
- one BTC/NMC address for .bit proxies
- one BTC/NMC address for more domains like .tor
- one BTC/NMC address for creating more advanced domain registration options (different registration periods, auction based registration) and a decentralized trading for .bit and other future domains (eventually a different donation address for this)
- one BTC/NMC address for website login implementation with id/ as OpenID alternative
- one BTC/NMC address for implementing id/ in other projects, like messaging services, games
- one BTC/NMC address for Namecoin wiki and manuals
- one BTC/NMC address for other applications like contracts, votes, shares, bonds

So we could put 3-12 options in the voting threads with own donation addresses and anybody could vote on one option.
Evrybody could vote but the voting result will be only for orientation.
However donations for a specific purpose will be used as bounties only for this purpose. If the donated amount for a purpose will be less then 0.5 BTC in the amount, it will be added to the donations for general purpose, which could be used for any Namecoin project.
Donation threads could be posted on any forum without spamming with applications of Namecoin specific of this forums purpose. (for ex in a gaming forum donation for creating Namecoin namespace standard for gaming, business forum shares and bonds trading with Namecoin, communities - id/ and domain specific issues)
- We could even post on other main alternative concurrency forums like litecoin, ppcoin, novacoin ... with own donation address(eventually accepting their cryptocurrencies for this project) for some specific integration of this currencies in the Namecoin applications (like ppcoin, litecoin address in id/ and may be others). They could eventually suggest integration possibilities as far as their bounty cover it.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

phelix

Post by phelix »

Multiple donation addresses are a great idea. It might even increase the amount of donations.

jdbtracker

Post by jdbtracker »

I'm all for bounties, I got no cash and am in need of accruing some wealth for the long term.

so what are the most needed items? A plan is definitely in order.

I'm still learning as much as I can about Namecoin but can help quite a bit with providing additional services.

I was thinking about making a GUI that is more in tune with the Namecoin demographic: What is that demographic?
applying clear easy instructions, and access to features like domain name registration with as few clicks as possible.

and I've also noted a few very interesting aspects about Namecoin? why do the fees to renew the sites reduce by half?
and does Namecoin DNS have any distributed features, can websites be downloaded as a torrent?

I'll probably be more helpful further down the road when I know what I'm doing. for now just reading as much as I can and looking through all
the code. It'll be amazing to really bring forth the Namecoin.

Edit: have you heard of Keccak the SHA-3 algorithm? this thing is crazy, It had a duplex mode for doing all cryptographic functions and the hash has a variable key sizes...
that could be useful considering that ecdsa is about .36 kb? and keccak at full power Keccak-f(1600) is .2 kb. so it is theoretically possible to use Keccak -f(800) at reduce key sizes down to .1kb! maybe even lower if we use the smaller variants
Last edited by jdbtracker on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moa

Post by moa »

What next?!

Upgrade/rebase on bitcoin isn't enough for you already?

domob

Post by domob »

virtual_master wrote:- one BTC/NMC address for website login implementation with id/ as OpenID alternative
I think this is a very interesting point and it would be great if some sites would implement Namecoin login directly. I have tried to separate off the login code from the OpenID stuff in NameID as much as possible and also written a short README that describes how my code can be used to add login functionality rather easily to a site directly (without needing a third-party provider to do the authentication). It also describes how the login form must be structured so that my Mozilla add-on works with those login pages, too. And of course, I will gladly help everyone who wants to integrate this into their sites.

To come back on topic, I also think that bounties are great and I like the idea about donation addresses ... if there's a bounty on some project, it surely motivates a lot more people to work on it. I have no specific wishes, but I think the list posted by phelix is a very good compilation of possible further projects / projects for bounties.

Decentralised .bit name exchange sounds interesting from a technical point of view (and in fact I think there are already projects out there that work on decentralised crypto-crypto exchanges based on a single blockchain, BitShares for instance but I remember also that there were others that wanted to work on that as a first step to a P2P Bitcoin exchange). I'm not sure how many .bit domains are exchanged at the moment, though, so not sure how useful that would be (at the beginning at least).
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

phelix

Post by phelix »

moa wrote:What next?!

This is the most important tech issue. Still it might be wise to "sell" all the other new stuff so we get more people into Namecoin to help with that.
domob wrote: Decentralised .bit name exchange sounds interesting from a technical point of view (and in fact I think there are already projects out there that work on decentralised crypto-crypto exchanges based on a single blockchain, BitShares for instance but I remember also that there were others that wanted to work on that as a first step to a P2P Bitcoin exchange). I'm not sure how many .bit domains are exchanged at the moment, though, so not sure how useful that would be (at the beginning at least).
Atomic trading of names with double sided multisign escrow sure would be nice. Not sure if it would really bring the domain market forward though. It must still get easier set up .bit browsing.

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

phelix wrote:
moa wrote:What next?!
This is the most important tech issue. Still it might be wise to "sell" all the other new stuff so we get more people into Namecoin to help with that.
I agree. But as you stated we need something more motivating to collect donations and for the most people wouldn't be clear why we need a rebase. Even if they know what it is doing just what others have already done is not so motivating then making something new. We can make bounty for this mainly from general purpose donations.

I would suggest that we start with less categories(not including shares and bonds support to avoid conflict with colored coins) so can we make a reasonable voting also. Then in 1/2 year we can make it again with more categories but voting only with donations. This will give also an impression of development. What do you think ?
We should focus on domain and ID related development or what is connected with this because here we already can show something and it will be clear what it is. The general categories are self explanatory.

Proposed categories:

1. General purpose development (client improovement, better browser support, proxies)
2. Implementing additional domains (.tor, .i2p, .new, ...)
3. Additional domain features (decentralized trading, more registration options, ...)
4. Website login implementation with identity (this would solve the Namecoin forum anonymity also)
5. Other identity based implementations like contracts, messaging services(like Bitmessage), votes
6. Namecoin wiki, manuals and tutorials

We would have 6 categories, 2 domain, 2 identity based, 2 general.
If you want more weight for the rebase then we could make a 7. category splitting 1. in client and browser development(with proxies).

Could look like this:

Title: Namecoin development direction - vote and decide about it

(Short understandable description of Namecoin with link. - maybe somebody can formulate it)

Please vote in what direction do you wish Namecoin to go (with donation addresses - all donations will be used for bounties to develop in that direction)

Vote:
Categories with donation addresses in BTC and NMC.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Regarding additional TLD's... there's already a technical discussion thread about Tor and I2P having their own TLD's, which has not yet been resolved. Putting out bounties for features which don't have a specification yet is not appropriate. I also have no clue whatsoever what .new would be... was there a technical discussion thread about that?
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

moa

Post by moa »

Everytime you add new code it gets more and more difficult to rebase ... (I've said all this before). If you are wanting to create a new fork that is going to go off and doing its own thing then keep going in this direction, but you should be honest with yourselves that this is what you are doing ... by default.

All the other stuff about making better docs, install guides, tools and marketing is all good. Be careful your castle is not being built on sand ...