Discussion for revised fees

biolizard89

Re: Discussion for revised fees

Post by biolizard89 »

virtual_master wrote:Thank you for your support to my proposal updating fees from a statical to a dynamic one where the users(and eventually miners also) decide about the value of a domain and how high should be a fee. Reusing (instead of destroying) network fees would also fit better to Namecoin's recycling energy concept.

Now an additional proposal:
Some users expressed their needs for some features which are connected to name trading and are going above the basic goals of Namecoin to protect informational freedom, privacy, environment and equality.
(to make an ID for everybody or a .bit domain to operate a site with an opposite opinion to the official for a human right activist should be always cheap)
This needs could be connected with the problem of lacking funds for development and solved together.
All name trading operations should have an additional development fee where the fee would come to an address controlled by the Namecoin Development Fond.
Trading(name or value field revealing) specific operations:
- updating all names at once - about + 9% fee additionally(to the renewal fee)
- trading names automatically - 9% fee of the traded amount
- contesting a name - 5% fee additionally(non returnable even if doesn't succeed) to the new amount of the locked network fee
- trading a value field content revealing (for ex for torrent tracker magnet link) - 15% fee from the traded amount

Other ideas ? What do you think about ?
(Of course if people would donate an amount which would cover all development costs then it wouldn't be necessary.)
I would instead lean towards 2 alternatives:

(1) Place a "Donate" button prominently in the Namecoin-Qt GUI, which when clicked prefills the Namecoin Marketing and Development Fund address and allows the user to type an amount to donate. Armory does this and it seems effective.
(2) After the user has made 20 transactions without clicking the Donate button (number open to debate), Namecoin-Qt pops up with a suggestion to donate, and an explanation of why donations are important to keep the Namecoin project going. If they decline, wait another 20 transactions and then ask again.

The idea here is to allow people who are charitable, helpful people to donate easily, with a little nudge, without triggering hate from idiots ranting about taxes.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

aristoteles

Post by aristoteles »

Hello,

I've been thinking about this all day , so I have a proposal that can be interesting.

The donations in the manner proposed by Biolizard
I feel very good .

My proposal would be that for the prices, I would like to clarify that my programming skills are few, but I feel like I just might take :

I think it could be that the rate will rise to $ 10 usd or so, and maybe $ 8 usd renewals as has been raised , but I think these coins should be divided among the adopters of the coin, something like making ppcoin , perhaps also calculated the age of the coins or something like that .

Thus, the cyber- squatters , who have yet namecoins avoided, (which I expect is the case of the development team ) would be capitalized to continue devoting time to the project , as I see enough of complicated proceeds voluntarily , although it can help.

I think the point is to offer something for people to donate, as it has Mastercoin for example.

You could make a formal announcement in bitcointalk announcing this new measure to have time to buy namecoins the current price.

It would be like having GoDaddy actions , in this case , of course , would be like having Namecoin actions .

I hope you like the idea :)

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

You have both right.
We should avoid hate of some people.
I already proposed a modular construction.
namecoind -> BasicGUI + TradingGUI
This separation has not only development reasons but funding also.
BasicGUI should integrate all what Namecoins basic goal is. Freedom of information, privacy, energy saving with merged mining. And contributions should be free there with link or preconfigured(but disablable).

TradingGUI would be to trade domains and value field content for torrent and would be more for commercial oriented users.
(messaging would come also here because it serves trading - contacting name owners which didn't gave any contact information - for other purpose they are better solutions)
The name buyers hate (if) would be only for this client and only by them. Here development contribution should be compulsory by using this client. - but nobody is obliged to use it - they could hate the private financiers which gave the coins to build it and the name sellers
This client could be also pre-financed by free contributors in mastercoin-style on an own address and all development fees collected by this client would be as shared revenue.
It would be a kind of outsourcing.
This client will be developed only so far as far the collected funds allow.
Not all parts can be outsourced and prefinanced but I am sure this part can be.
Some people would also hate those who are asking higher prices for names(name squatters or name sellers for established names with traffic) so if this is a reason why we need it at all ?
Separation would be the proper solution.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S