using NamecoinID as an altcoin address alias

Bimmerhead

using NamecoinID as an altcoin address alias

Post by Bimmerhead »

I didn't realize Namecoin had ID functionality until yesterday, had always just understood it was about registering domain names.

I haven't been able to find any altcoin wallets (or bitcoin wallet, for that matter) that are using this feature to allow users to send coins to names rather than addresses. Does anyone know if any coins are doing this? Is there a guide as to how to incorporate it?

Seems like it would be superior to the openalias.org method.

domob

Re: using NamecoinID as an altcoin address alias

Post by domob »

There's been talk about this already two years ago (when NameID was introduced), but so far I don't think any wallet does it. (Except for Namecoin itself.) However, it should be straight-forward to do - similar to the Bitmessage integration. If you want to work on that, feel free to get in touch with me - that would be very appreciated!
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

phelix

Post by phelix »

Armory or Electrum should be among the easier targets.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

Bimmerhead

Post by Bimmerhead »

domob wrote:There's been talk about this already two years ago (when NameID was introduced), but so far I don't think any wallet does it. (Except for Namecoin itself.) However, it should be straight-forward to do - similar to the Bitmessage integration. If you want to work on that, feel free to get in touch with me - that would be very appreciated!
Just messaged you at bitcointalk 'cause I can't figure out the private messaging system here. :)

So is there a web front-end for creating namecoin id anywhere, or do users need to download the wallet and entire blockchain to do so?

domob

Post by domob »

Bimmerhead wrote:
domob wrote:There's been talk about this already two years ago (when NameID was introduced), but so far I don't think any wallet does it. (Except for Namecoin itself.) However, it should be straight-forward to do - similar to the Bitmessage integration. If you want to work on that, feel free to get in touch with me - that would be very appreciated!
Just messaged you at bitcointalk 'cause I can't figure out the private messaging system here. :)

So is there a web front-end for creating namecoin id anywhere, or do users need to download the wallet and entire blockchain to do so?
Registering an ID is equivalent to creating a name. So, the most common way is indeed to download the wallet and blockchain. We are working on light clients, also. But I think that just one or two months ago, someone announced a JavaScript webwallet that supported name registrations - you could try to find that and get in touch. I stumbled upon their test transactions while working on Namecoin Core, so it should be fully functional.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/