Public DNS support for .bit

Red-Beard

Public DNS support for .bit

Post by Red-Beard »

Hello,

Recently I got interested in the decentralized nature of namecoin. After seeing what's involved with resolving .bit, I thought it'd be a good idea to start asking questions to various authorities to see if I could shake things up a little in the way of getting more DNS servers to support .bit.

I've been in discussions with both my ISP (Telus in Canada) as well as Google for their public DNS servers (ie. 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4). For the Google posts, please see:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... VPbLU_y80o

I'm a little confused about the various methods to get .bit support, so suggestions on that would be great, but aside from this, I think we need more people letting DNS governing bodies know that they want .bit support.

Perhaps an Avaaz petition is in order, as it may be another way to attract more attention to the subject.

Because I'm no expert on DNS servers, I'd appreciate any comments others could make, either here or on the Google group post.

Thanks!

Edit: There's a delay to posts to the Google Group, so at this time my most recent post isn't up there due to it being in queue to be approved.

namecoiner

Re: Public DNS support for .bit

Post by namecoiner »

Red-Beard wrote:Hello,

Recently I got interested in the decentralized nature of namecoin. After seeing what's involved with resolving .bit, I thought it'd be a good idea to start asking questions to various authorities to see if I could shake things up a little in the way of getting more DNS servers to support .bit.

I've been in discussions with both my ISP (Telus in Canada) as well as Google for their public DNS servers (ie. 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4). For the Google posts, please see:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... VPbLU_y80o

I'm a little confused about the various methods to get .bit support, so suggestions on that would be great, but aside from this, I think we need more people letting DNS governing bodies know that they want .bit support.

Perhaps an Avaaz petition is in order, as it may be another way to attract more attention to the subject.

Because I'm no expert on DNS servers, I'd appreciate any comments others could make, either here or on the Google group post.

Thanks!

Edit: There's a delay to posts to the Google Group, so at this time my most recent post isn't up there due to it being in queue to be approved.
Namecoin has a much higher potential than has actual but some easier browser support needed, some Mozilla plugin or built in support for .bit domains.
Of course your idea is also very good.
Some popularization would be also fine.
I will try to make some popularizing issues for namecoin which I will post when I will be so far.