Domain Name Speculation

whyjustin

Domain Name Speculation

Post by whyjustin »

I've noticed there is extensive speculation in the .bit domain names with people registering names such as google.bit. I think it would make sense for people with these domains to initially forward to the appropriate website such that www.google.bit forwards to www.google.com. This encourages the legitimacy of namecoin DNS as people browsing get what they expect. When (if) namecoin DNS takes off these speculators can do whatever they want with their domains, probably sell them for profit. Any opinions?

Chucksta

Re: Domain Name Speculation

Post by Chucksta »

Interesting... this could lead to a hell of a lot of problems. Not that anyone will be able to do anything about it.

As far as I can see, there's no way to police what people do with these domains (naming or usage). I could be wrong.

Imagine a Wikileeks where there was no way to identify the people behind it. Therefore nobody to pursue, prosecute, or put an arrest warrant out on. Or fit up :shock:

heilen

Post by heilen »

eventually it may become too expensive for people to just park domains, and have to sell them.

snoopytime

Post by snoopytime »

Anyone know if 'mainstream' nameservers can\will soon support .bit extensions?

wizzard0

Post by wizzard0 »

snoopytime wrote:Anyone know if 'mainstream' nameservers can\will soon support .bit extensions?
They need some incentive to do so, so I think they will do so only if the govt's start being too intense
Bitcoin (and Namecoin) mining profitability - http://tvori.info/bitcoin/charts/

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

snoopytime wrote:Anyone know if 'mainstream' nameservers can\will soon support .bit extensions?
I hope it will never be the case, otherwise, ICANN will have control and impact a lot of users.
Anyway, do you have 1 million dollar to buy them .bit tld ? :p
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

snoopytime

Post by snoopytime »

haha gotcha guys. lol we should makeup an organization or protocol or something called 'UCANT' since they cant shut it off the .bit network lolol