Some newbie questions

drknark

Some newbie questions

Post by drknark »

Hi,

This seems like an interesting project. I have a few questions:

1. Are there any plans for a dyndns function, other than automating the update command? Which would cost coins for each change?

2. Is it / will it be possible to redirect a .bit address to a regular internet domain address, without using ip?

3. The costs for addresses, are they reinserted into the system by tacking them onto block rewards? Like bitcoin's transaction fees?

4. Are addresses locked to the wallet? Or are the hash values enough to retain control of them?

Thanks!

khal
Site Admin

Re: Some newbie questions

Post by khal »

drknark wrote:1. Are there any plans for a dyndns function, other than automating the update command? Which would cost coins for each change?
If you don't want to update your namecoin name (to have no cost), you must use an external thing... You could still continue to use dyndns, by configuring your .bit domain with the alias option (this is planned in the future spec, but still not supported)

drknark wrote:2. Is it / will it be possible to redirect a .bit address to a regular internet domain address, without using ip?
DNS servers can't do redirect.
- one solution is to use alias again, which will use the configuration of an existing domain to automatically get it's ip. Then, you have the choice, on your server, to redirect it or not.
- other solution is to use the ns option and then add your .bit domain on your server. You can then do what you want with it like any other domain.
drknark wrote:3. The costs for addresses, are they reinserted into the system by tacking them onto block rewards? Like bitcoin's transaction fees?
Traditionnal fees are sent to miners. But not the cost of a name_firstupdate and other name_*. I wan't this to be changed : http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58

drknark wrote:4. Are addresses locked to the wallet? Or are the hash values enough to retain control of them?
They (registered names) are associated with a namecoin address and can be transfered to another one.
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

drknark

Re: Some newbie questions

Post by drknark »

Thanks for the answers, I now have some better understanding of how it works.