Possible Namecoin Use Cases (namespaces)

phelix

Possible Namecoin Use Cases (namespaces)

Post by phelix »

edit 2012-03-22

Looking for a niche for Namecoin to take off for world domination.

I have created a wiki page to collect ideas: http://dot-bit.org/Use_cases

old post:------------------------------

somewhat related to:

[Idea] Arbitrary bonds (fiat, gold, options), shares, votes - via Cryptocurrency
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic ... #msg777043

I would like to suggest:

b/ bonds
s/ shares
v/ votes (centralized voting circles)
t/ web of trust json:{t:[],v:{}} where "t" is an array of trusted addresses and "v" a place to vote

also at some time we might need:
prayer/
Note: I am a fundamentalist pastafarian / satoshian. 8-) I see people cluttering namespaces.

opinions?
Last edited by phelix on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

phelix

Re: Suggesting new namespaces (bonds, shares, votes, wot)

Post by phelix »

bump: updated with new direction

phelix

Re: Possible Namecoin Use Cases (namespaces)

Post by phelix »

bump: updated once more :)

decentralized twitter / facebook

phelix

Post by phelix »

TLS/SSL like server identity check via fingerprint

torrent tracker via magnet links

timestamping - works out of the box. just register a hash of a file (picture or whatever) as a name.

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

n/ nodes - list of public services for a server :
- .bit dns servers
- dotbit proxies
- namecoin (or else) public nodes to bootstrap to (infinite loop ? :p)
- namecoin nodes allowing anybody to do name_show queries (remote & public querying maybe a usefull feature in namecoin, but it allows another way of DoS]
- minecraft server
- etc : any public service
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

dingo

Post by dingo »

Digital postage stamps, both for email purposes and for collection. Idea is
- postage stamp as a .jpg image with reasonably good resolution
- for each stamp a defined "printing run" (some 100s maybe) of differently watermarked images
- md5 hash + additional info stored and replicated via namecoin for each individual stamp
- GUI tool to administer, display, swap, sell stamps in your collection, backend interface to namecoind.

Interface to email programs and function in these tbd. - would be great to have collectible digital stamps which serve a purpose in email communication.

As you probably will guess, I am rather involved with stamps, especially irregular ones... :)

Same principle would fit for other digital artworks, like digital paintings or music.

phelix

Post by phelix »

Directory of domains with short description in the info field - could be searched locally (search score: 1 / search position / info length)

moa

Post by moa »

Credential verification ... I suppose that is the id/ namespace?

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

don't ask me how or why...

i fantasized about an RPG game some how based on a nmc name...

like g/snailbrain
which will store stats for character appearance (and more) in the virtual world (maybe an open character appearance shared amongst many games).. maybe use bitmessage or future nmc message system for real time location (in virtual reality)
basically an anonymous virtual world where you can interact/socialize (doesn't even need to be a game)..
chat rooms somehow based on nmc would be a good start..

off topic: Facebook cannot stay as text forever.. i see it evolving into a 3d enviroment with photo realistic graphics (maybe it will auto generate your 3d character based on photos you have uploaded) - , of which you can roam and meet your friends (or make friends) in VR...
similar to V Club, on the series Caprica -

a long way off.. but, who knows... maybe one day (estimate 10 to 30 years max) :)

domob

Post by domob »

I'm working on a project to make the id/ namespace more useful. In particular, I have a half-working implementation of an OpenID identity provider which allows anyone holding an id/ name to sign in. You don't (and can't) have to register with the site and don't have a password, rather you have to sign in with a private key signature of the address holding your id/ name. Once the provider is fully working, one can immediately use one's namecoin id to sign into millions of OpenID enabled sites on the web - which I find pretty cool.

In the future there may be more options to sign in, for instance with a different NMC address or even a PGP key, where the public key is stored in your id/ name at a special field to mark it is public key for authenticating this identity. I also plan to implement a browser plugin, which automates the challenge message signature for ease of use. (At the moment one has to find the address corresponding to the name first, and then use the command-line to signmessage the challenge.)

If someone is interested to test the alpha version or help out with designing the page / a logo, please let me know! The code will be GPLv3 (free software of course), so anyone can set up another identity provider based on the same idea and code, so that this can be as decentralised as possible.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/