Dealing with the block chain dust spam attack

doublec

Dealing with the block chain dust spam attack

Post by doublec »

I've create some patches to try to deal with the current ongoing spam dust transaction attack. They are in my github fork. I've done pull requests for the namecoin/namecoin repository.

Pull request 7 applies the fixes that coblee did for litecoin to stop the dust coins in a wallet from being used during coin selection. It also adds the getmemorypool rpc command.
Pull request 8 does the following:

- Changes the minimum transaction fee from 0.0005 to 0.005. Maybe this should even be higher? Namecoins are cheap.
- Changes the threshold for when fees increase due to the block becoming full. the current spam attack is set just under the current threshold.
- Reduces the free transaction area from 27,000 to 9,000.
- Increases the minimum fee for dust transactions. Currently the fee is set to a constant no matter how many dust outputs there are. This sets it based on the number of dust outputs. Maybe this should penalize even more?

Thoughts? Will this be enough? Is vinced around?

moa

Re: Dealing with the block chain dust spam attack

Post by moa »

Do it.

(I thought the bitcoin code, that namecoin code is based on, already dealt with bitdust transactions spam issue ... must have got changed with the naming fees.)

Where's vinced?

doublec

Post by doublec »

moa wrote: (I thought the bitcoin code, that namecoin code is based on, already dealt with bitdust transactions spam issue ... must have got changed with the naming fees.)
It has pretty much the same as the current namecoin checks. The main advantage with bitcoin is they're worth a reasonable amount of money in real dollars. Namecoins are cheap to get and mine and aren't worth much in real dollars, making attacks cheaper. So a 0.0005 namecoin fee is much cheaper in 'real dollar' terms than the equivalent BTC fee.

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

Ive made a pull request with some differences here : https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin/pull/9

Patch "Change block size threshold for when fees increase " has been excluded (it had no effect).
Patch "Add fee for each dust transaction, no exception" is more severe with dust spam

Good work doublec :)
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

doublec

Post by doublec »

Thanks, Windows binary here.