3 ideas to make namecoin much more accessible

jago25_98

3 ideas to make namecoin much more accessible

Post by jago25_98 »

It must be easier for people to use namecoin. Obviously the most important thing for namecoin is that people can resolve .bit easily.

1) The first easy way can be to have a public DNS server like OpenDNS supporting .bit
We need more supporting servers.

2) I would like to see a very lightwieght daemon for Windows that intercepts a request for .bit at firewall level and updates the hosts file or something similar.
The reason for this rather than a Firefox plugin is that then your pirated Minecraft server etc can still resolve.

^ a lightweight namecoin client to go with this would be nice too... is it possible to have a blockchainless client that searches for requests?

3) A third party program that generates a list of .bit domains that can be imported into a hosts file. I can see people posting this to pastebin etc

These ideas sound like a dilution of namecoin but I disagree because the attention that this brings to namecoin.

All this functionality should be available as one click install rather than reading:
http://dot-bit.(.bit/.org)/HowToBrowseBitDomains

doublec

Re: 3 ideas to make namecoin much more accessible

Post by doublec »

jago25_98 wrote: 3) A third party program that generates a list of .bit domains that can be imported into a hosts file. I can see people posting this to pastebin etc
This is probably it. I use this in combination with dnsmasq to resolve .bit domains. I use a version of namecoin that sends notifications when new blocks occur. My program picks up this notificatoin, regenerates the hosts file by running the program in that gist and then sends a HUP signal to dnsmasq to use the new host file. The notification on new blocks to namecoin is based on this one I did for bitcoin, but you could also use a half node.

OCTAGRAM

Post by OCTAGRAM »

We need more DNS-suffix services. Currently we have none!

This is described here: http://dot-bit.org/HowToBrowseBitDomain ... resolution

The installation on Windows is as simple as downloading and launching tiny .reg file, then (probably) rebooting PC.

.reg file should look like this:

Code: Select all

REGEDIT4

[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TcpIp\Parameters]
"SearchList"="rewrite.dot-bit.org"
It works this way: Browser will send request for gee.bit to ISP DNS. ISP DNS will send negative answer. Then browser will send request for gee.bit.rewrite.dot-bit.org and succeed. The request goes through ISP DNS, so ISP DNS will cache this answer and serve this request faster next time.

jago25_98

Post by jago25_98 »

Perhaps this should be bundled with software that has an interest in dot-bit in particular.

For example, it could be bundled with torrent downloads so that a mirror of that torrent site is still available should the primary site get siezed.

phelix

Post by phelix »

it might be interesting to bundle namecoin proxy resolution with a software to resolve bitcoin URIs. both in a firefox plug-in...
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

phelix

Post by phelix »

about openDNS: http://ideabank.opendns.com/story.php?t ... DNS_Lookup

is the suffix method somehow working at the moment?
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

OCTAGRAM wrote:We need more DNS-suffix services. Currently we have none!

This is described here: http://dot-bit.org/HowToBrowseBitDomain ... resolution

The installation on Windows is as simple as downloading and launching tiny .reg file, then (probably) rebooting PC.

.reg file should look like this:

Code: Select all

REGEDIT4

[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TcpIp\Parameters]
"SearchList"="rewrite.dot-bit.org"
It works this way: Browser will send request for gee.bit to ISP DNS. ISP DNS will send negative answer. Then browser will send request for gee.bit.rewrite.dot-bit.org and succeed. The request goes through ISP DNS, so ISP DNS will cache this answer and serve this request faster next time.
I'll take some time about this too. I realize (only now) it could be the simplest way of resolving .bit for the mass :p
More infos soon.
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »