Creating an official namecoin tree ?

khal
Site Admin

Creating an official namecoin tree ?

Post by khal »

nodemaster wrote:
cosurgi wrote:
vinced wrote: If a trusted person steps forward I can add them to the github repository as commiter.
I suggest nodemaster :)
IMHO we should have at least three persons who are able to release new versions. Perhaps we should as well ask doublec and/or khal? If no one is against I'm willing to take this challenge, but I'd also want to make sure, that I'll only make use of the rights if there is imminent danger for the blockchain, we need an emergency release and vinced is not available for whatever reason. During normal development process vinced should be the only one who is pulling into his repo.

We should develop and agree on a process for emergency releases like:

1. Emergency fix is done on fork by whoever provide it
2. After testing it is pulled to vinceds repo
3. Version is advanced
4. Announcement is made on Forum. PGP signed by at least 2 out of n persons who can commit to the repo.
5. Binaries are created and made available on the main page.

I'm just working on automatic binary creation for linux and packaging for debian. Perhaps someone is able to do this for windows and Mac OS X? It's really a good idea to tighten the process of doing emergency releases. This is one of the weaknesses we identified during the 51% attack and I think we should address this. What do you think?

We could also create an "official" namecoin tree that is dedicated to releases & fix (bitcoin works like that with bitcoin/bitcoin and each user has his forked tree) ?
=> https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin

We then add some trusted people to be able to commit, merge pull requests from forked repositories, etc.
I think it would allow people to be sure to always have a stable release on the official tree, avoid giving access to a "personal" tree to other people.

What do you think ?
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

johntobey253

Re: 51% Attack - Countermeasure Roundup

Post by johntobey253 »

khal wrote:We could also create an "official" namecoin tree that is dedicated to releases & fix (bitcoin works like that with bitcoin/bitcoin and each user has his forked tree) ?
Excellent! I find the descriptions of khal/namecoin and vinced/namecoin on http://dot-bit.org/ confusing. Users want to know where to get the version currently recommended for general use.

nodemaster

Post by nodemaster »

khal wrote:What do you think ?
Kudos to you :D It seems this is the most convenient way. However I'm quite new to GIT and GITHub. I started with CVS at the end of the last millennium and until a short while ago was happy with SVN ;) Is it possible to change my underlying fork from vinced/namecoin to namecoin/namecoin within github?
Access .bit domains with Firefox in 4 easy steps: https://masterpool.eu/proxy
MasterPool Namecoin Mining Pool

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

I would like to ear vinced opinion too, because the situation is a bit more complex in his case (he sometimes need to rebase namecoin with the bitcoin repository).

We currently have :
- bitcoin/bitcoin => forked to vinced/namecoin => forked to other_people/namecoin

"pull requests" is a special feature from github, and we need to use the "fork" button to be able to use it. To change it, you must delete (or rename the repo) and fork again (then you can push your own modifications back).

So, we may have this to still be able to pull requests to bitcoin + namecoin :
- bitcoin/bitcoin => forked to namecoin/namecoin => forked to other_people/namecoin
People could also do :
- vinced/namecoin => fork to their own repo : to be able to pull requests to vinced or namecoin or bitcoin (you must click on "pull requests" and then "change commits" and then change the Base branch)

So, before changing anything to your repository, i would like to be sure the official repository is forked the right way to leave as much possibilities as possible.

ps : remember that you could push directly with the command line to each repository where you have been added as collaborator, even if the "fork" button of github hasn't been used. "Pull request" is for people without write access (so, this will be used on the official repository by other people to submit some patches).
pps : i can make a small doc to describe how to be able to pull (get modifications) from several repositories (mine and vinced for example) to your own if you need to (by using git remote add and git pull).

vinced

Re: Creating an official namecoin tree ?

Post by vinced »

khal wrote:
nodemaster wrote:
cosurgi wrote:
I suggest nodemaster :)
IMHO we should have at least three persons who are able to release new versions. Perhaps we should as well ask doublec and/or khal? If no one is against I'm willing to take this challenge, but I'd also want to make sure, that I'll only make use of the rights if there is imminent danger for the blockchain, we need an emergency release and vinced is not available for whatever reason. During normal development process vinced should be the only one who is pulling into his repo.

We should develop and agree on a process for emergency releases like:

1. Emergency fix is done on fork by whoever provide it
2. After testing it is pulled to vinceds repo
3. Version is advanced
4. Announcement is made on Forum. PGP signed by at least 2 out of n persons who can commit to the repo.
5. Binaries are created and made available on the main page.

I'm just working on automatic binary creation for linux and packaging for debian. Perhaps someone is able to do this for windows and Mac OS X? It's really a good idea to tighten the process of doing emergency releases. This is one of the weaknesses we identified during the 51% attack and I think we should address this. What do you think?

We could also create an "official" namecoin tree that is dedicated to releases & fix (bitcoin works like that with bitcoin/bitcoin and each user has his forked tree) ?

We then add some trusted people to be able to commit, merge pull requests from forked repositories, etc.
I think it would allow people to be sure to always have a stable release on the official tree, avoid giving access to a "personal" tree to other people.

What do you think ?
This all sounds good to me and I trust this group of people to make good decisions. The easiest setup is if namecoin/namecoin is a fork of my repository and other people fork from there. This way you will be able to submit pull requests to bitcoin on github using the web interface. The repository that is now at namecoin/namecoin is disconnected from others.
!v | Namecoin founder | https://dot-bit.org/

vinced

Post by vinced »

khal wrote: So, we may have this to still be able to pull requests to bitcoin + namecoin :
- bitcoin/bitcoin => forked to namecoin/namecoin => forked to other_people/namecoin
This can work too. You will have to do some git hacking to overwrite the master branch with my version. I think you can delete master and then create it again.
!v | Namecoin founder | https://dot-bit.org/

khal
Site Admin

Re: Creating an official namecoin tree ?

Post by khal »

I've forked the new official namecoin tree : https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin

Here is the fork path :
- bitcoin/bitcoin => forked to vinced/namecoin => forked to namecoin/namecoin

People can then fork from the official tree, like i did :
* i deleted my github tree (khalahan/namecoin),
* forked from namecoin/namecoin,
* updated my local clone with "git pull --rebase origin master" (download updates from khalahan/namecoin and put your own patches at the top)
* push my local patches on khalahan/namecoin with "git push",

List of people currently allowed to push directly on namecoin/namecoin :
- vinced
- khalahan
- nodemaster
Remember to push only stable things :p

Everbody using github can pull requests to namecoin/namecoin (if they fork from it). Please, put a significant titrle and description, read the remarks made by other people, improve your patch, pull again, and repeat until your patch is accepted :p (yes, this can take some times for big patches)

Is it ok ?

ps : vinced, you may add vinced@vinced.bit to the email addresses in your github account setting.
pps : i only put the master branch. Are any other branch needed on the official and stable tree ?