Retrieving Old .bit Addresses

oemb1905

Retrieving Old .bit Addresses

Post by oemb1905 »

I had a computer crash and had everything backed up except my namecoin library files / private keys / etc., etc.

As a result, I had to created a new namecoin-qt instance on the new computer.

Now, when attempting to register d/example (which is mine on my old now defunct machine with no backup) it says - quite accurately - that the name is not available.

Is there any way for me to reclaim this .bit address despite having lost all my previous information?

Is there some type of transfer?

johnc

Re: Retrieving Old .bit Addresses

Post by johnc »

you really need your wallet.dat from appdata/roaming/namecoin on your old computer.

did you tried to run a recovery utility on the old disk from another computer? take out the drive and use a external adaptor. You may be able to access it that way.

If not, you must wait to the domain to expire and register it again asap.

oemb1905

Post by oemb1905 »

Cool

Yeah ... I save everything, but just messed up on this one. By the time I realized it - it was too late. Anyways, I really appreciate you confirming I need to wait for expiry.

oemb1905

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

FWIW, this is technically a usability flaw in Namecoin Core (which is inherited from Bitcoin Core). Wallets like Armory make backups much more usable (and make it much harder to accidentally not back up).
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

omarabid

Post by omarabid »

biolizard89 wrote:FWIW, this is technically a usability flaw in Namecoin Core (which is inherited from Bitcoin Core). Wallets like Armory make backups much more usable (and make it much harder to accidentally not back up).
Does Namecoin support HID wallets? It'll probably find its way to bitcoin core gui sometime in the future. Will be quite useful for namecoin.

johnc

Post by johnc »

oemb1905 , if you had your *old* disk and you didn't write much into it. you could recover some files even if you deleted them and reinstalled windows on top. i use recuva for example. there is no guarantee but it may find something.

new Namecoin 0.13 will support HD wallets. still on beta, backup your wallets! i'm not sure if you can migrate a .bit from the old wallet to a HD one, i guess the wallet still need to keep the old private keys. ?