Issues with BDB on Archlinux

JZA

Issues with BDB on Archlinux

Post by JZA »

Wonder if anyone else have had issues trying to install the namecoin-core package for AUR.

Is there any solutions, I have tried modifying the PKGBUILD with different compilation options with not mayor success. I always seems to end up with a wallet-less node.

biolizard89

Re: Issues with BDB on Archlinux

Post by biolizard89 »

JZA wrote:Wonder if anyone else have had issues trying to install the namecoin-core package for AUR.

Is there any solutions, I have tried modifying the PKGBUILD with different compilation options with not mayor success. I always seems to end up with a wallet-less node.
It is not clear to me how you expect anyone to help you when you only describe your predicament as "issues". Contrary to what you may have heard from several U.S. newspapers, hackers aren't capable of magic, and therefore cannot read your mind.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

JZA

Post by JZA »

not very helpful but I clearly mentioned the Archlinux Package, if you don't use this package or Archlinux, then this question wasn't for you. no mind-reading necessary.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

JZA wrote:not very helpful but I clearly mentioned the Archlinux Package, if you don't use this package or Archlinux, then this question wasn't for you. no mind-reading necessary.
I'm pretty sure that Arch users aren't any better at mind-reading than the rest of us. "issues" doesn't help anyone (Arch user or not) understand what problem you're encountering. As I said previously, either provide useful information to help diagnose your issue (e.g. specifically what terminal commands you ran and what errors you got), or don't expect anyone to help you.

By the way, for anyone reading this thread, JZA (or someone impersonating him) was kicked from #namecoin on March 13 for abusive behavior toward developers who were answering his questions. Please take that into account when deciding whether to expend any resources helping him here.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

JZA

Post by JZA »

I described the issue fully, I get a ./namecoin-cli with no wallet methods, basically doing

Code: Select all

$ namecoin-cli help
will list the methods available and will not show any regarding the wallet like, getnewaddress, listaccounts, signmessage, etc.
why does that happen?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

JZA wrote:I described the issue fully, I get a ./namecoin-cli with no wallet methods, basically doing

$ namecoin-cli help
will list the methods available and will not show any regarding the wallet like, getnewaddress, listaccounts, signmessage, etc.
why does that happen?
Does this also occur with a stock Namecoin Core? If not, then it's likely to be either a problem on the packager's end, or alternatively there's a bug in Namecoin Core which happens to only be triggered by something that the packager is doing. I believe there's a configure option for disabling the wallet; is that being used for some reason by the packager?

josephbisch

Post by josephbisch »

biolizard89 wrote:
JZA wrote:I described the issue fully, I get a ./namecoin-cli with no wallet methods, basically doing

$ namecoin-cli help
why does that happen?
Does this also occur with a stock Namecoin Core? If not, then it's likely to be either a problem on the packager's end, or alternatively there's a bug in Namecoin Core which happens to only be triggered by something that the packager is doing. I believe there's a configure option for disabling the wallet; is that being used for some reason by the packager?
Yes, it is something done by the packager. They are using the "--disable-wallet" configure option. I think it is because you get the incompatible bdb warning if you don't disable the wallet. See these lines of the PKGBUILD file.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

josephbisch wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:

$ namecoin-cli help
why does that happen?
Yes, it is something done by the packager. They are using the "--disable-wallet" configure option. I think it is because you get the incompatible bdb warning if you don't disable the wallet. See these lines of the PKGBUILD file.
Interesting. The fact that the packager doesn't seem to disclose this to end users is a bit of a dick move (or perhaps just incompetence). It's also not particularly hard to obtain the correct version of the various dependencies; that's what a depends build is for.

@JZA, you have 3 options: build from source, wait for Gitian binaries to be posted (hopefully should happen for nc0.12.0rc3), or pester the packager to fix their package. Based on Joseph's link, this doesn't appear to be a bug on our end.

JZA

Post by JZA »

Source gives me incompatible BDB version and stops. Archlinux is currently on 5.3AUR.

I tried deleting the --disable-wallet for the --with-incompatible-bdb but still nothing. No wallet, I end up downloading an older namecoind from this source.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

JZA wrote:Source gives me incompatible BDB version and stops.
That error appears for a reason; it means you should be doing a depends build. See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2347 . Using incorrect dependency versions causes various issues, including corrupt wallets and consensus failures.