How does the registration workflow goes with the namechain?

JZA

How does the registration workflow goes with the namechain?

Post by JZA »

I would like to read a better explanation on how namecoin works in regards with the registration process. For example, when I create a new_name, how long does it takes until the txid is visible on the namecoin explorer? Is there a way that I can track which block was the name registration took place withing the CLI?

How long does it pass (or blockcount) when I want to update the namecoin id? (not the first update but the regular update)

Most services don't accept caps, however the blockchain do, I wonder if there are services that will make it case sentitive? This will help with the huge ammount of cyber squattering on the namechain.

Regards.

cassini

Re: How does the registration workflow goes with the namecha

Post by cassini »

JZA wrote:how long does it takes until the txid is visible on the namecoin explorer?
If you use a namecoin-core client then the tx is visible as soon as a miner finds the next block. This takes between 1 minute and 1 hour.
If you use an older client (i.e. Namecoin-Qt) then some mining pools may ignore your tx, and you have to wait until one of the other mining pools finds a block. In this case it usually takes between 1 and 6 hours.
JZA wrote:How long does it pass (or blockcount) when I want to update the namecoin id? (not the first update but the regular update)
Ditto.
The above said also applies to name_update operations.

JZA wrote:Is there a way that I can track which block was the name registration took place withing the CLI?
Use listtransactions. Look for the confirmations field of the tx you want to find out about. Then subtract the number of confirmations from the current blockcount, and add +1, e.g.

Code: Select all

./namecoin-cli getblockcount

./namecoin-cli listtransactions
"confirmations": 14
In this example your tx is in block 277000-14+1 = 276987

JZA wrote:I wonder if there are services that will make it case sentitive?
Prefix d/ (i.e. domain names, or .bit): case-insensitive. The idea is to create a system as similar as possible to the ICANN name system which is case-insensitive.
Prefix id/ (see nameid.org): mostly case-sensitive (as far as I know). Bitmessage uses Namecoin ids in a case-sensitive way, for example.

biolizard89

Re: How does the registration workflow goes with the namecha

Post by biolizard89 »

cassini wrote:
JZA wrote:I wonder if there are services that will make it case sentitive?
Prefix d/ (i.e. domain names, or .bit): case-insensitive. The idea is to create a system as similar as possible to the ICANN name system which is case-insensitive.
Prefix id/ (see nameid.org): mostly case-sensitive (as far as I know). Bitmessage uses Namecoin ids in a case-sensitive way, for example.
To elaborate on this point. As far as Namecoin is concerned, both the identifier and value of a name are just binary blobs. They aren't even required to be valid ASCII, so the concept of case sensitivity is meaningless.

For the use case of the d/ namespace, DNS-compliant software always issues DNS requests using lowercase. So even if you type "WWW.GOOGLE.COM" into Firefox, the request generated is for "www.google.com". (At least, I'm pretty sure that's what Firefox does.) As such, the Namecoin lookup that is performed always looks for a lowercase identifier. So while you can register a name such as "d/GOOGLE", that name is completely useless because there is no action that a user can perform that will result in that name being loaded.

For the use case of the id/ namespace, there are intentional restrictions on which identifiers are valid for id/-compliant software, which is for the purpose of making phishing more difficult. If I recall correctly, one of these restrictions is that uppercase is not permitted, although I might remember wrong.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5