first fork of Namecoin - 611 (SixEleven)

biolizard89

Re: first fork of Namecoin - 611 (SixEleven)

Post by biolizard89 »

BenAndersson wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
BenAndersson wrote:I think 611 (SixEleven) has another focus: It's easy to use; the registerred objects are available worldwide for any internet device using a fast and reliable distributed dns infrastructure. That's no rival situation for Namecoin. 611 (SixEleven) is just download and use it, i. e. to register a short and easy to remember name object for your website, remote access to your smart home equipment or other scenarios instead of having to fiddle with dyndns or other non open source services.
The point that Phelix and I were making is that if, for some reason, a user wanted the functionality you refer to, they could still use Namecoin to do it, and there are readily available tools for doing so. There is no need to create a new blockchain for this (unless the end goal is to make the creator money in a pump-and-dump scam).
Do you know anyone who is supporting the Namecoin project for creating money? I'm sure all you guys supporting this probably best known Bitcoin fork are doing development for pleasure in your off time. :roll:
I infer that you're insinuating something, but I can't tell what. Please feel free to be more explicit about what you're trying to say. I can tell you that as a Namecoin developer, I don't have a large investment in NMC. I currently own less than 100 NMC. I work on Namecoin because I think it has a public benefit, not because I think it's likely to make me rich.
BenAndersson wrote:I'm using both: Namecoin and 611 (SixEleven). To publish information, 611 just works quick and easy to use. DNS resolve lookups are stable with good performance on worldwide access. For the task I use it, it's free. At the moment it's easier to mine a few 611 coins than to mine Namecoins.

Even if I would have to donate a few bucks for the development of Namecoin or 611 that would be ok for me, like I'm also donating to other open source projects supporting freedom of knowledge and freedom of speech. Because freedom is not for free.
Agreed that freedom is not free. Feel free to donate to Namecoin development if you like the work that we do -- since we're not funded by an investment in NMC, our funding comes from ordinary people who think free speech and privacy are important to a healthy society.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

small note and mostly irrelevant to the discussion :

it's not the first fork of namecoin <3

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

snailbrain wrote:small note and mostly irrelevant to the discussion :

I love Huntercoin.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

BenAndersson

Re: ... fork of Namecoin - 611 (SixEleven)

Post by BenAndersson »

:?: Do you have a list of active forks of Namecoin, which are already out there in the wild?

biolizard89

Re: ... fork of Namecoin - 611 (SixEleven)

Post by biolizard89 »

BenAndersson wrote:
:?: Do you have a list of active forks of Namecoin, which are already out there in the wild?
Huntercoin is the only one I'm aware of. Its developers include snailbrain, Mikhail Sindeyev, and Daniel Kraft (all of whom are also Namecoin developers).

BenAndersson

Post by BenAndersson »

biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:
BenAndersson wrote:
metabtc wrote:Whats the point of creating a lots of same type altcoins?
611 (SixEleven) allows you to access the public blockchain data with any device connected to the Internet using the anonymous SLD [YourName_or_YourID].611.TO (and maybe TLD .611 later).
So you do not need to install special browser plugins or any other dns tweaks to access the public Name or ID objects registerred with 611 (SixEleven); everyone connected to the Internet can access the published name and id objects of the blockchain using standard dns resolve requests.
Are you aware this was possible for Namecoin years ago via e.g. http://nf.bit.pe ? Unfortunately it is broken now but it is quite insecure anyway.
Indeed. This kind of setup is trivial to create using things like ncdns (although ncdns wasn't the first implementation of it). There's a reason we're not marketing to such use cases: they don't have any of the security benefits of Namecoin.
Did you already though of integrating Namecoin into the TorBrowser package? Seems that 611 (SixEleven) is used for some websites as a DNS system for onion websites.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

BenAndersson wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:
BenAndersson wrote:
metabtc wrote:Whats the point of creating a lots of same type altcoins?
611 (SixEleven) allows you to access the public blockchain data with any device connected to the Internet using the anonymous SLD [YourName_or_YourID].611.TO (and maybe TLD .611 later).
So you do not need to install special browser plugins or any other dns tweaks to access the public Name or ID objects registerred with 611 (SixEleven); everyone connected to the Internet can access the published name and id objects of the blockchain using standard dns resolve requests.
Are you aware this was possible for Namecoin years ago via e.g. http://nf.bit.pe ? Unfortunately it is broken now but it is quite insecure anyway.
Indeed. This kind of setup is trivial to create using things like ncdns (although ncdns wasn't the first implementation of it). There's a reason we're not marketing to such use cases: they don't have any of the security benefits of Namecoin.
Did you already though of integrating Namecoin into the TorBrowser package? Seems that 611 (SixEleven) is used for some websites as a DNS system for onion websites.
Of course we've thought of it. We've even actively engaged with the Tor community on that subject. I'd like to note that anyone using "611" for TorBrowser is quite frankly either an idiot or has an ulterior motive. Since you haven't actually disclosed any information on this subject one way or the other, and I'm getting suspicious based on your post count, I'm just going to ask you outright: what relationship, if any, do you have with the "611" project?

BenAndersson

Post by BenAndersson »

biolizard89 wrote:
BenAndersson wrote: Did you already though of integrating Namecoin into the TorBrowser package? Seems that 611 (SixEleven) is used for some websites as a DNS system for onion websites.
Of course we've thought of it. We've even actively engaged with the Tor community on that subject.
That would be a win-win case for both: Tor and Namecoin. Unfortunately this idea is still missing a hint on the Tor: Project Ideas page. :(
biolizard89 wrote: I'd like to note that anyone using "611" for TorBrowser is quite frankly either an idiot or has an ulterior motive.
ACK. Currently it's only a workaround for mobile access without having to rely on other link pages which may be subject to comparable attack vectors.
But like many workarounds out there it works as long as you take care that the resulting onion urls sound resonable.
biolizard89 wrote: Since you haven't actually disclosed any information on this subject one way or the other, and I'm getting suspicious based on your post count, I'm just going to ask you outright: what relationship, if any, do you have with the "611" project?
I've solo-mined SIL, because due to the centralized hashpower being added to the Namecoin network it's impossible to mine NMC using consumer equipment at the moment. As a replacement to other dyndns services everything's gone fine so far.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

BenAndersson wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
BenAndersson wrote: Did you already though of integrating Namecoin into the TorBrowser package? Seems that 611 (SixEleven) is used for some websites as a DNS system for onion websites.
Of course we've thought of it. We've even actively engaged with the Tor community on that subject.
That would be a win-win case for both: Tor and Namecoin. Unfortunately this idea is still missing a hint on the Tor: Project Ideas page. :(
The Tor developers provided a list of concerns that they would have about using Namecoin as a .onion naming system. For example, the level of anonymity currently provided by Namecoin isn't sufficient for a subset of Tor's users. We think the concerns are addressable, and we're actively working on them, but until those concerns are addressed, I wouldn't expect the Tor developers to list Namecoin on their ideas page.