first fork of Namecoin - 611 (SixEleven)

BenAndersson

first fork of Namecoin - 611 (SixEleven)

Post by BenAndersson »

marginal note:
:arrow: namecoin has a new altcoin fork called 611 (SixEleven).
:mrgreen: It's struggling with design flaws and for sure will be no rival for namecoin but it allows anyone to register name (and id) objects which are accessible worldwide by any Internet connected device using DNS resolve requests on the SLD [YourName].611.to.

:twisted: Mining difficulty level is quite low - so currently it's cheap and no big deal to register the preferred dot-bit name and id objects with sixeleven, too.

erkan

Re: first fork of Namecoin - 611 (SixEleven)

Post by erkan »

seems it's getting bashed, because:
"54.62% of the total eventual supply, was instamined by the 611 developer."

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1235629.120

BenAndersson

Post by BenAndersson »

erkan wrote:seems it's getting bashed, because:
"54.62% of the total eventual supply, was instamined by the 611 developer."
:lol: yeah, heavy bashing since a few days. The project is free public software (forking Namecoin) on github since september 17: https://github.com/fflo/sixeleven

:geek: good news: for the use case of 611 (SixEleven) as a public and anonymous dns system it doesn't matter at all. It's still no big deal to mine some SILs to register name and id objects. The difficulty level is still manageable for solo miners.

:arrow: it's an opportunity for the deployment of Namecoin that there is a second niche altcoin forking this great project. Getting objects online under ...611.to for any internet user will probably strengthen the need to support ...bit, too.

metabtc

Post by metabtc »

Whats the point of creating a lots of same type altcoins?

BenAndersson

Post by BenAndersson »

metabtc wrote:Whats the point of creating a lots of same type altcoins?
611 (SixEleven) allows you to access the public blockchain data with any device connected to the Internet using the anonymous SLD [YourName_or_YourID].611.TO (and maybe TLD .611 later).
So you do not need to install special browser plugins or any other dns tweaks to access the public Name or ID objects registerred with 611 (SixEleven); everyone connected to the Internet can access the published name and id objects of the blockchain using standard dns resolve requests.

:arrow: If you have the chance I would suggest you to mine (or exchange) a few SIL and register your name objects with 611 (SixEleven), too. It's still easy at the moment.

phelix

Post by phelix »

BenAndersson wrote:
611 (SixEleven) allows you to access the public blockchain data with any device connected to the Internet using the anonymous SLD [YourName_or_YourID].611.TO (and maybe TLD .611 later).
So you do not need to install special browser plugins or any other dns tweaks to access the public Name or ID objects registerred with 611 (SixEleven); everyone connected to the Internet can access the published name and id objects of the blockchain using standard dns resolve requests.
Are you aware this was possible for Namecoin years ago via e.g. http://nf.bit.pe ? Unfortunately it is broken now but it is quite insecure anyway.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:
BenAndersson wrote:
Are you aware this was possible for Namecoin years ago via e.g. http://nf.bit.pe ? Unfortunately it is broken now but it is quite insecure anyway.
Indeed. This kind of setup is trivial to create using things like ncdns (although ncdns wasn't the first implementation of it). There's a reason we're not marketing to such use cases: they don't have any of the security benefits of Namecoin.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

BenAndersson

Post by BenAndersson »

biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:
BenAndersson wrote:
611 (SixEleven) allows you to access the public blockchain data with any device connected to the Internet using the anonymous SLD [YourName_or_YourID].611.TO
Indeed. This kind of setup is trivial to create using things like ncdns (although ncdns wasn't the first implementation of it). There's a reason we're not marketing to such use cases: they don't have any of the security benefits of Namecoin.
Yes, that's true. The security benefits of Namecoin rely on the completely independent design and Bitcoin blockchain based infrastructure. It's not possible to censor or cheat this design as long as the basic encryption SHA256 algorithm stays secure.

I think 611 (SixEleven) has another focus: It's easy to use; the registerred objects are available worldwide for any internet device using a fast and reliable distributed dns infrastructure. That's no rival situation for Namecoin. 611 (SixEleven) is just download and use it, i. e. to register a short and easy to remember name object for your website, remote access to your smart home equipment or other scenarios instead of having to fiddle with dyndns or other non open source services.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

BenAndersson wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:
BenAndersson wrote:
611 (SixEleven) allows you to access the public blockchain data with any device connected to the Internet using the anonymous SLD [YourName_or_YourID].611.TO
Yes, that's true. The security benefits of Namecoin rely on the completely independent design and Bitcoin blockchain based infrastructure. It's not possible to censor or cheat this design as long as the basic encryption SHA256 algorithm stays secure.

I think 611 (SixEleven) has another focus: It's easy to use; the registerred objects are available worldwide for any internet device using a fast and reliable distributed dns infrastructure. That's no rival situation for Namecoin. 611 (SixEleven) is just download and use it, i. e. to register a short and easy to remember name object for your website, remote access to your smart home equipment or other scenarios instead of having to fiddle with dyndns or other non open source services.
The point that Phelix and I were making is that if, for some reason, a user wanted the functionality you refer to, they could still use Namecoin to do it, and there are readily available tools for doing so. There is no need to create a new blockchain for this (unless the end goal is to make the creator money in a pump-and-dump scam).
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

BenAndersson

Post by BenAndersson »

biolizard89 wrote:
BenAndersson wrote:I think 611 (SixEleven) has another focus: It's easy to use; the registerred objects are available worldwide for any internet device using a fast and reliable distributed dns infrastructure. That's no rival situation for Namecoin. 611 (SixEleven) is just download and use it, i. e. to register a short and easy to remember name object for your website, remote access to your smart home equipment or other scenarios instead of having to fiddle with dyndns or other non open source services.
The point that Phelix and I were making is that if, for some reason, a user wanted the functionality you refer to, they could still use Namecoin to do it, and there are readily available tools for doing so. There is no need to create a new blockchain for this (unless the end goal is to make the creator money in a pump-and-dump scam).
Do you know anyone who is supporting the Namecoin project for creating money? I'm sure all you guys supporting this probably best known Bitcoin fork are doing development for pleasure in your off time. :roll:

I'm using both: Namecoin and 611 (SixEleven). To publish information, 611 just works quick and easy to use. DNS resolve lookups are stable with good performance on worldwide access. For the task I use it, it's free. At the moment it's easier to mine a few 611 coins than to mine Namecoins.

Even if I would have to donate a few bucks for the development of Namecoin or 611 that would be ok for me, like I'm also donating to other open source projects supporting freedom of knowledge and freedom of speech. Because freedom is not for free.