Proper capitalization of the word "Namecoin"

JohnDoe

Proper capitalization of the word "Namecoin"

Post by JohnDoe »

I'm having an edit war with Moa on the wiki main page over the capitalization of Namecoin depending on the context and wanted to know the opinion of the rest.

According to Moa it should be written as follows:

- namecoin, when talking about the protocol
- namecoin, when talking about the client
- Namecoins, when talking about the currency

In my opinion it should be the complete opposite:

- Namecoin
- Namecoin
- namecoins

respectively. This is the standard that was agreed upon for Bitcoin and what I think makes the most sense.

Thoughts?

moa

Re: Proper capitalization of the word "Namecoin"

Post by moa »

Well war is a little extreme word, like War on Namecoins or Terror or something?

I don't mind either way, as long as it used consistently, are you in favour for that?

You lack of comments supporting wiki changes left it open to any interpretation, ranging from questions of grammar, for/agin, etc.

Consistency?

Edit: ps : good job with the Exchanges table in the Trade page.

JohnDoe

Post by JohnDoe »

moa wrote:Well war is a little extreme word, like War on Namecoins or Terror or something?
By edit war I mean this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edit_war
I don't mind either way, as long as it used consistently, are you in favour for that?
Yes, consistency is my first reason. It is used my way all over on Bitcoin, including the Wikipedia article, so I think it's a good idea to follow that convention.

I think I know where you got your convention from, from vinced's github right? If so then you should know that he is not very consistent. He uses uppercase and lowercase alternatively in any context. Some examples:

"The Bitcoin protocol is augmented with namecoin operations, to reserve, register and update names"

"Can I run Namecoin and Bitcoin on the same machine?"

"You can acquire namecoins in the usual bitcoin way, by mining or by reciving some from others"

"The network fee Namecoins are destroyed by the transaction"
You lack of comments supporting wiki changes left it open to any interpretation, ranging from questions of grammar, for/agin, etc.
I'll remember to comment on my edits from now on.

gigabytecoin

Post by gigabytecoin »

I believe JohnDoe is correct on this one.