Second Chat Meeting Discussion [Spin Off Topic]

biolizard89

Second Chat Meeting Discussion [Spin Off Topic]

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:I was not invited to the meeting time poll. Later with my vote the best time changed to Sunday but the meeting schedule was never changed. Saturday night is a very bad time for me (and probably a lot of other people). What do you expect me to do?

Gitter supports Tor and works directly (!) via IRC so it seems like a good solution even before the bridge is ready.

If you want to discuss this further please create a new / move to another thread.

The meeting is on.
Every single issue which you plan to discuss at the meeting involves me. I will not be there, because this meeting was not scheduled in an acceptable way. I therefore conclude that *all* discussion of those issues at your meeting is null and void, as you are intentionally excluding people who are involved in those issues. I am seriously unimpressed with this unprofessional and exclusionary behavior. Hugo and I already told you that supporting the IRC protocol is not sufficient, given that it requires registration -- you have conveniently left this fact out of your rebuttal.

Here is an exact paste from my PM sent folder:
Message subject: Namecoin Dev IRC meetings
Sent: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:06 pm
To: snailbrain phelix virtual_master cassini domob indolering pmc
Reply with quote Report private message Delete message
Hey guys,

Since feedback seemed to be positive on my threads about having IRC meetings to involve new devs and increase transparency, I'm trying to schedule them. Can you supply your availability information here?

https://dudle.inf.tu-dresden.de/namecoin-dev-meeting/

Cheers,
-Jeremy
There are not any replies from Phelix in my PM inbox, nor do I recall him filling out the form.

The first meeting was Jan 3 according to the private forum. There was a lot of time for Phelix to ask for it to be rescheduled for a different timeslot or to provide his preferences. I am unable to find any record of him doing so between Dec. 10 and Jan. 3 (I have checked my email inbox and my forum PM inbox as well as the relevant private forum thread).

If Phelix really wants the meetings to be rescheduled, we should have that discussion (although he had a chance earlier). This does not warrant scheduling a parallel meeting that harms the community. I don't have a super strong opinion about when the meetings are held; in fact having them a bit later in the day is an improvement for me. But it cannot be done by decree.

I would also like to point out that it is fucking ridiculous that Phelix goes to extreme lengths to demand absolute consensus about things such as the Namecoin logo, but thinks he can unilaterally decide when and where meetings are held without bothering to consider any feedback. This is not acceptable conduct.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Re: Second Chat Meeting Discussion [Spin Off Topic]

Post by phelix »

imho it's not such a big deal to have a second meeting. I will try and answer with more detail next week.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

phelix

Re: Second Chat Meeting Discussion [Spin Off Topic]

Post by phelix »

@Biolizard: Actually I received your message but have missed it. This Intcom post of yours got me the idea I had not received it: viewtopic.php?p=14179&sid=dcc718534f6d0 ... 149#p14179 (Thread title "IRC meeting time - a little later?") But it seems it was a misunderstanding. I will correct the other thread where I wrote I never received the poll invitation.

For the sake of discussion i would like to separate the Gitter/IRC issue.

All chat decisions have to go through the forum. We have discussed this before as we learned by some bad groupthink decision. Chat is not a good medium for non crisis decisions in general.

Here is the situation from my point of view:
1. The poll showed two reasonable timeslots, Saturday/Sunday. (With my late vote Sunday would have been the winner, IIRC Saturday and Sunday were head on head without my vote)
2. Current time slot does not work for me, maybe also for other people.
3. As you say yourself I can't simply reschedule the existing meeting.

Ergo I try and establish a second meeting with hopefully a somewhat different direction in the second reasonable time slot. I don't think having two meetings will "harm the community" so badly. If you have another suggestion I would be glad to read it. Until we have come to a better solution I will stick to the second meeting.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum