IPFS - an alternative publish/subscribe paradigm?

drllau

IPFS - an alternative publish/subscribe paradigm?

Post by drllau »

Neocities have announced support for IPFS, a supposed distributed file system (publish) with cryptocraphical hashes (subscribe) for content redundancy. I've haven't studies the protocol in depth so not certain as to their claims for
"finely-grained, trustless, distributed, easily federated Content Delivery Network"
However, the advantages of immutable content may be superior for fixed documents or trusted distros released at discrete intervals but rich media has significant variation or even user-specific customisation. The question that this raises for the namecoin community is whether decentralisation of content and verification of hashes could be part of the evolution of NameCoin (or whether support for another alternative to http is anticipated for decentralised web).

biolizard89

Re: IPFS - an alternative publish/subscribe paradigm?

Post by biolizard89 »

drllau wrote:Neocities have announced support for IPFS, a supposed distributed file system (publish) with cryptocraphical hashes (subscribe) for content redundancy. I've haven't studies the protocol in depth so not certain as to their claims for
"finely-grained, trustless, distributed, easily federated Content Delivery Network"
However, the advantages of immutable content may be superior for fixed documents or trusted distros released at discrete intervals but rich media has significant variation or even user-specific customisation. The question that this raises for the namecoin community is whether decentralisation of content and verification of hashes could be part of the evolution of NameCoin (or whether support for another alternative to http is anticipated for decentralised web).
The main question that comes up for me when I see proposals like this is "How is this better and/or different from existing things like Freenet or Zeronet?" I assume that Neocities is at least aware of Freenet and probably of Zeronet too -- so I'm guessing there are substantive differences, but they're not obvious to me when reading your link.

That's quite cool that they're looking at working with Namecoin. We should reach out to them.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

somename

Re: IPFS - an alternative publish/subscribe paradigm?

Post by somename »

biolizard89 wrote: The main question that comes up for me when I see proposals like this is "How is this better and/or different from existing things like Freenet or Zeronet?" I assume that Neocities is at least aware of Freenet and probably of Zeronet too -- so I'm guessing there are substantive differences, but they're not obvious to me when reading your link.

That's quite cool that they're looking at working with Namecoin. We should reach out to them.
I saw a comment (can't provide the link, it was on somewhere on Zeronet, can't find it now) that IPFS is not completely censorship free. Maybe it's only for the gateway service.

In any case, it'd be great to be able to do more with Zeronet (in addition to the domain names).