Namecoin Chat Lounge - next: t.b.d.

phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Namecoin Chat Lounge - next: t.b.d.

Post by phelix » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:42 pm

This is on hold at least until the dev-meeting schedule vote is done.

In addition to the existing IRC meetings I would like to establish another chat meeting on Gitter: https://gitter.im/namecoin/lounge It will take place every 2nd and 4th Sunday at 7pm UTC (click the link to see what time that is in your place). Start is 2015-08-23

Gitter is easier to access than IRC, only a Github account is necessary. IRC access is possible in addition to the webGUI. Tor works, at least with the webGUI.

The meeting is informal. It is meant for brainstorming about anything Namecoin related. E.g. topics from this roadmap. Decisions should go through the forum, though.

[edited]
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89
Posts: 1979
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Namecoin Chat Lounge

Post by biolizard89 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:58 pm

Umm, can we please not unilaterally schedule meetings without getting feedback first? I don't have a huge objection to Gitter, but having meetings every week seems excessive, and to my knowledge no one has ACKed the timeslot you picked.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Namecoin Chat Lounge

Post by phelix » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:51 am

biolizard89 wrote:Umm, can we please not unilaterally schedule meetings without getting feedback first? I don't have a huge objection to Gitter, but having meetings every week seems excessive, and to my knowledge no one has ACKed the timeslot you picked.
The timeslot is based on the original vote (private board). Unfortunately the vote has since been deleted? With my late vote Sunday was the most popular time slot. IIRC this is an hour later but this is intentional so the timeslot is more disctinct from the dev-meeting - giving more people a chance to attend at least one meeting.

We are stalling on too many issues already, before wasting two weeks for nothing we can as well just give it a try. Particularly so as it can all easily be changed.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Namecoin Chat Lounge - next: 2015-09-13

Post by phelix » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:55 am

Chat Lounge 2015-08-23 Notes

Present:
cassini
phelix
unsystemizer (somename here)
taoeffect

We talked about how to achieve practical user benefits. Besides tor/i2p resolving maybe we could do something with file storage links. We could create a tool to allow to resolve various file storage methods (ipfs.io / maelstrom / maidsafe / mega / torrent / ...). This could also integrate proof of existence and file signing. Until somebody comes up with a better name I will call it "filetool" for now.

Unsystemizer suggested (counterparty and co) tokens (also see tokenly) to be provable via nameID. This would allow automatic fine grained access control.

I suggested a document with (open) positions like https://geti2p.net/de/about/team but the others were not so keen on it. Cassini noted that it always would have to be kept up to date to be useful. Also it might be difficult/hurtful to remove people that are busy with other things. I will not pursue it further.

Unsystemizer reminded us of Monegraph, a proof of ownership for digital assets. It uses Namecoin and will launch soon. We should work closer together with projects like this one and mention them on the website. This would also make the website look more active, which is generally important.

I rfced an API server fog of requests.

The Gitter chat worked quite well.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Namecoin Chat Lounge - next: 2015-09-13

Post by phelix » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:21 am

Chat Lounge #2 is coming up this Sunday 2015-09-13 7pm UTC (click the link to see what time that is in your place)

Potential topics:
* the roadmap: https://github.com/namecoin/meta/blob/master/roadmap.md
* nameGUI todo priority
* i2p / tor-browser resolving
* filetool design / implementation
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89
Posts: 1979
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Namecoin Chat Lounge

Post by biolizard89 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:01 pm

phelix wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:Umm, can we please not unilaterally schedule meetings without getting feedback first? I don't have a huge objection to Gitter, but having meetings every week seems excessive, and to my knowledge no one has ACKed the timeslot you picked.
The timeslot is based on the original vote (private board). Unfortunately the vote has since been deleted? With my late vote Sunday was the most popular time slot. IIRC this is an hour later but this is intentional so the timeslot is more disctinct from the dev-meeting - giving more people a chance to attend at least one meeting.

We are stalling on too many issues already, before wasting two weeks for nothing we can as well just give it a try. Particularly so as it can all easily be changed.
I really do not appreciate the unilateral scheduling of meetings on different platforms, particularly given that we all agreed (AFAIK) that we would install a Gitter/IRC bridge bot so that we would have interoperability. Please do not schedule meetings on Gitter until that bot is in place; it splits the development community unnecessarily and is counterproductive.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

hla
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:01 am
os: linux
Contact:

Re: Namecoin Chat Lounge - next: 2015-09-13

Post by hla » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:15 pm

Seriously, what the hell? The project went to the trouble of arranging Namecoin dev meetings on IRC, with scheduling, polling people to find out what the best time is and everything, and you're basically going off and ignoring that. People have been weighing in on the use of Gitter in the forum - what's the point if the outcome is independent of consensus?

I stated that I don't have a problem with Gitter, but that is strictly conditional on a functioning bridge bot so that IRC users aren't disadvantaged. You also mention that Gitter only requires a GitHub account, but IRC doesn't require an account at all, so it's weird to claim that as an advantage. Also besides my own conditional acceptance, I'm fairly sure a lot of people have yet to weigh in on use of Gitter.

biolizard89
Posts: 1979
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Namecoin Chat Lounge - next: 2015-09-13

Post by biolizard89 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:33 pm

hla wrote:Seriously, what the hell? The project went to the trouble of arranging Namecoin dev meetings on IRC, with scheduling, polling people to find out what the best time is and everything, and you're basically going off and ignoring that. People have been weighing in on the use of Gitter in the forum - what's the point if the outcome is independent of consensus?

I stated that I don't have a problem with Gitter, but that is strictly conditional on a functioning bridge bot so that IRC users aren't disadvantaged. You also mention that Gitter only requires a GitHub account, but IRC doesn't require an account at all, so it's weird to claim that as an advantage. Also besides my own conditional acceptance, I'm fairly sure a lot of people have yet to weigh in on use of Gitter.
This. Agree 100% percent.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Namecoin Chat Lounge - next: 2015-09-13

Post by phelix » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:07 am

I was not invited to the meeting time poll. Later with my vote the best time changed to Sunday but the meeting schedule was never changed. Saturday night is a very bad time for me (and probably a lot of other people). What do you expect me to do?

Gitter supports Tor and works directly (!) via IRC so it seems like a good solution even before the bridge is ready.

If you want to discuss this further please create a new / move to another thread.

The meeting is on.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Namecoin Chat Lounge - next: 2015-09-13

Post by phelix » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:31 pm

Chat Lounge 2015-09-13 Notes

Only Cassini were there and I chatted a bit, partially by PM in our native language.

We talked about:
* proper Namecoin Core release is necessary
* in the future we could bundle it with NMControl - but this would make handling more complicated

* Both Cassini and I are looking forward to the new website. Cassini wants to comment on github.

* The roadmap needs some cleanup.
* To keep it short we could use links or an overview (markdown??) or both

* Gitter PM chat made some problems for Cassini but worked well for me (via IRC!)
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

Locked