Forum problems behind Tor

biolizard89

Forum problems behind Tor

Post by biolizard89 »

The forum logs me out frequently. I suspect that this is because I'm behind Tor, which causes my IP to change every 10 minutes. Many times there is not time to compose a post before I'm logged out. Can we make the forum software not log people out when their IP changes?
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob

Re: Forum problems behind Tor

Post by domob »

biolizard89 wrote:The forum logs me out frequently. I suspect that this is because I'm behind Tor, which causes my IP to change every 10 minutes. Many times there is not time to compose a post before I'm logged out. Can we make the forum software not log people out when their IP changes?
This is something I have been seeing for, I think, years already. I always copy my posts to the clipboard before submitting them, just in case. But if there is any particular reason why this happens, I would also be very glad to have it resolved.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

phelix

Post by phelix »

The forum control panel has an option that might be relevant:
Session IP validation:
Determines how much of the users IP is used to validate a session; All compares the complete address, A.B.C the first x.x.x, A.B the first x.x, None disables checking. On IPv6 addresses A.B.C compares the first 4 blocks and A.B the first 3 blocks.
I have set it to "None" for now. With "https" it should not have any security implications?
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:The forum control panel has an option that might be relevant:
Session IP validation:
Determines how much of the users IP is used to validate a session; All compares the complete address, A.B.C the first x.x.x, A.B the first x.x, None disables checking. On IPv6 addresses A.B.C compares the first 4 blocks and A.B the first 3 blocks.
I have set it to "None" for now. With "https" it should not have any security implications?
Any security attained by verifying IP address consistency is security by obscurity. I believe as long as the end users keep their login cookies secure (meaning they don't have malware and they use HTTPS) it should be fine. Ryan is welcome to weigh in here.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Confirming that the issue appears to be resolved for me. Thanks for fixing it Phelix.