Suggestion: Switch to Slack, Gitter, or OSS equivalent

phelix

Re: Suggestion: Switch to Slack, Gitter, or OSS equivalent

Post by phelix »

One big advantage of Gitter is the web client. The difficulties we pose for new users to participate are ridiculous. (Yes, we are in desperate need of people who don't even know what regex means.)
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

phelix

Post by phelix »

@Biolizard: is the schedule vote through?

phelix

Post by phelix »

OFTC and Tor:
* Closing Link: gefjun.chgans.net (No more connections permitted from your host)
doh

edit: I should add, I got kicked out right before that in the middle of conversation. :?

btw: gitter content license: Creative Commons licence: Attribution + Noncommercial + ShareAlike (BY-NC-SA).

phelix

Post by phelix »

Talking to Midnightmagic about Gitter and logging, it turned out he does not have strong objections towards logging in general. He is ok with #namecoin-dev being logged (but not #namecoin). Unfortunately my client was accidentally not configured to log the conversation (haha) but IIRC his concern was mostly that Gitter, a proprietary company, would hold all our logs and do bad things with them in the future. Given that the logs are licensed BY-NC-SA according to Gitter terms I think we can take that risk. Also honestly I think these logs won't be very useful to anybody else.

So I would like to use Gitter (with the bridge to Freenode) for now. Also it gives us the best of two worlds, IRC and webchat. If anybody can come up with a better, working alternative please go ahead.

cassini

Post by cassini »

phelix wrote:Given that the logs are licensed BY-NC-SA according to Gitter terms I think we can take that risk.
+1 (assuming "logs" is what they call "public messages and other user generated content")
phelix wrote:Also it gives us the best of two worlds, IRC and webchat.
+1

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Personally I would like #namecoin-dev to not be logged publicly. There is enough off-the-cuff conversation there (less so than #namecoin though) that I don't want people starting to be self-conscious and start to self-censor. However, since OFTC no longer works for Phelix and me over Tor since about a week ago, I agree that we need another option for the moment. @phelix, would it be okay if we set up an extra IRC channel specifically for meetings, which is publicly logged (e.g. by Gitter)? I'm okay with meetings being logged, since they're much more organized than #namecoin-dev is generally.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:Personally I would like #namecoin-dev to not be logged publicly. There is enough off-the-cuff conversation there (less so than #namecoin though) that I don't want people starting to be self-conscious and start to self-censor. However, since OFTC no longer works for Phelix and me over Tor since about a week ago, I agree that we need another option for the moment. @phelix, would it be okay if we set up an extra IRC channel specifically for meetings, which is publicly logged (e.g. by Gitter)? I'm okay with meetings being logged, since they're much more organized than #namecoin-dev is generally.
IMHO logging is useful and helps transparency. Bitcoin-dev has been logged for ages. I don't have a strong opinion on it, though. I suggest we discuss it at the meeting and go with the current channel for now. You need to unban the bot:

Code: Select all

gitter-irc-bot# cat errorlog.txt
IRC Error: { prefix: 'card.freenode.net',
  server: 'card.freenode.net',
  command: 'err_bannedfromchan',
  rawCommand: '474',
  commandType: 'error',
  args:
   [ 'nmcgitterbridge',
     '#namecoin-dev',
     'Cannot join channel (+b) - you are banned' ] }

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:Personally I would like #namecoin-dev to not be logged publicly. There is enough off-the-cuff conversation there (less so than #namecoin though) that I don't want people starting to be self-conscious and start to self-censor. However, since OFTC no longer works for Phelix and me over Tor since about a week ago, I agree that we need another option for the moment. @phelix, would it be okay if we set up an extra IRC channel specifically for meetings, which is publicly logged (e.g. by Gitter)? I'm okay with meetings being logged, since they're much more organized than #namecoin-dev is generally.
As IRC people seem to have a strong opinion on logging - please go ahead. Just don't call it meeting. People might want to hang out on Gitter not only in meetings. Maybe "lounge"?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

FYI the Gitter/Freenode bridge bot seems to no longer be present in #namecoin-meeting on Freenode since circa Feb 27. Anyone know what's up with that?
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5