Scammers May Be Harvesting Targets from Namecoin Blockchain

biolizard89

Scammers May Be Harvesting Targets from Namecoin Blockchain

Post by biolizard89 »

Today I just received a Bitcoin-related scam sent to an email that I'm certain I haven't used with any Bitcoin related companies (it's an email address used by a nonprofit I volunteer at). However, the email address in question does exist in the Namecoin blockchain as the contact info for a domain that I purchased on behalf of that nonprofit.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Below is the email in case anyone wants to compare notes. Maybe someone would like to contaminate the given Bitcoin address and do some taint analysis?

Code: Select all

In This Issue:
	Get 150% profit with Coinbase Invest Fund

Dear BotballYAC,

We're happy to announce a new product - Coinbase Invest Fund, reliable platform for
small and medium scale investments. Fund assets are diversified among emerging Forex
positions at Coinbase Exchange. Deposits are risk-free insured by institutions such as the New
York Stock Exchange.

Want to become a professional investor? 
Our first short-term investment program starts today - GET 150% FOR A 10-DAY DEPOSIT.

Investment offer is active from 20th of April 12:00 AM Pacific until 30th of April.
Coinbase offers you a fixed return with a 50% growth for a 10 day period.
You can deposit today from $100. Maximum deposit amount per one person
or legal entity is 60 Bitcoins. That's an astonishing opportunity to earn up to $8,500 per 10 days!

Investors who want to apply, please make a deposit to

1LYLQod3P93JugEH6XViYYtUzdSEVzgern or click the link below
	 https://blockchain.info/qr?data=1LYLQod3P93JugEH6XViYYtUzdSEVzgern&size=400

Once a payment is made you will get an e-mail about successful participation.
Please note: Initial deposit amounts exceeding +30 Bitcoins will qualify your membership for a 2nd level upgrade.

We will return your initial deposit with dividends on 1st of May, 2015 12:00 AM Pacific Time.
(for example: investing 10 Bitcoins today will return 15 Bitcoins in a 10 day period)
Profits are withdrawn without any delay and Coinbase waives all fees for 1st level investments.

Hurry up! This is a limited, one-time opportunity.

Kind regards,
The Coinbase Invest Fund Team

Do not reply to this e-mail
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Re: Scammers May Be Harvesting Targets from Namecoin Blockch

Post by phelix »

I am quite certain this does happen. Consequently I don't publicize an eMail address in my id...

The world deserves something better than eMail. I wonder what it will be.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

cassini

Re: Scammers May Be Harvesting Targets from Namecoin Blockch

Post by cassini »

I received the same spam message. It was sent to an old email address I had used for bitcoin-24.com only.
The email address is definitely not on the blockchain.

The header details look very odd, unlike normal spam. This puzzle has been solved already, though, see
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/commen ... ail_alert/
tl;dr: The spammer compromised Coinbase's Sendgrid account and managed to send the messages via Sendgrid. This is their backup email system.