Fun with Namecoin

biolizard89

Re: Fun with Namecoin

Post by biolizard89 »

nmc000 wrote:For example since name trading itself does not exist as a built in feature, I wouldn't mind just hacking it, with a little bit of an honor system not to attack the system. I don't think it would take more than a dozen lines of bash of linux to accept a few inputs, or we could just have a slimmed down bulletin board of items that are being traded. Or if there's some way to use what already exists on the dotbit.me that could work.

I tried to do a lookup on coin taint in reference to 'a coin taint associated with a bunch of subversive names', sounds interesting, so its kind of related to a hierarchy of names?
Well, you could certainly do name trading if you trust a third party to hold the names. You just couldn't do it atomically, i.e. the third party would be able to steal the names.

Coin taint is basically a method of tracing the flow of coins over time. For example, you could see that I received funds from phelix, who received them from snailbrain, who received them from domob, meaning that my coins are "tainted" with domob's identity. This is harmful to anonymity. A countermeasure was proposed by Gregory Maxwell in his post "I taint rich", where he suggested artificially creating transactions that taint many people with many other people's coins, effectively creating so much noise that the signal is lost, so that privacy and fungibility are preserved. I was basically saying that it would be awesome to have my names tainted with e.g. d/wikileaks or d/silkroad, just to confuse blockchain analysis on whether I own those names.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

nmc000

Re: Fun with Namecoin

Post by nmc000 »

If anyone would like to act as a third party on this I'm ok with it. I wouldn't anticipate trying to get people to 'risk' anything of too much value. I'm open to start hacking some stuff and sharing source code to anyone participating.

I feel like this could be an opportunity to 'experience' Namecoin more, instead of, with all due respect, squatting potentially valuable names. Even if .bit was 100% used like .com, it's not like I have an experience with TLDs in general. I think it would be nice to have a group of users that actually genuinely experience Namecoin, even if starts out as only a few people a few times a week.