Fun with Namecoin

nmc000

Fun with Namecoin

Post by nmc000 »

Hi everyone, anyone want to try to have fun with Namecoin? I've got some general ideas, but I'm open to other ideas also.

The main rule would be just to have fun :)

phelix

Re: Fun with Namecoin

Post by phelix »

Please note that people on this forum might not consider things fun unless there is some sort of encryption or at least a hash involved. :mrgreen:
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

raylab

Post by raylab »

Good idea! I'm up for it! Let's try!
Any ideas to start with?

nmc000

Post by nmc000 »

Well we can just start dreaming up stuff :] maybe we could start by:

1) establish the most important rules
2) pick something you personally like in life, and consider incorporating it into this 'NMC thing'

Seems like phelix mentions people like encryption as being something they like, I'd interpret it more generally as privacy?

For me on 1) I'd say:

Have fun
Respect the existing Namecoin development (let's not be a burden on that effort)
Don't feed trolls (I don't know a good reference if someone wants more on this philosophy)

For me on 2)

I have all kinds of ideas, defending against this top down globalism is one but it might be too negative. Perhaps more simple and positive :) how cool would it be to incorporate something that would have even just a tiny appeal to females.. Very broad I know but I could clarify after hearing other ideas.

Just brainstorming, keeping it short.

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

you could use namecoin for some sort of card game, and trade cards using atomic trading of names..

i don't know the implications about blockchain growth etc

phelix

Post by phelix »

You could also send out badges.

b/master_of_blockchain_based_mmpgs --> id/snailbrain
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

nmc000

Post by nmc000 »

Trading seems like a pretty core feature that could be included. Maybe the first 2 steps could be:

1) establish some ID using id/
- it could be pseudonymous or not

2) post your 'coolest/best' NMC registration (what to call this other than NMC registration?)
- prove you own it
- it can literally be any string at all
- it can be part of any of the namespaces or not
- it could be a trend or idea your predicting will be important that you want to get out there
- it could be a promise, secret, some valuable unknown fact (that somehow anyone who owns the NMC registration at some point it will be revealed to them, and you pass it on to others)
- basically you want everyone to want your NMC reg.

I don't mean to break away from this forum site, but 'posting' on this site wouldn't get the same effect. If anyone has any simple hack idea how to use NMC to 'publicly post'...? Perhaps there's a starting point (a starting NMC reg.) that has further instructions. Perhaps this can turn into something like a treasure hunt by starting with one NMC reg. for instructions, which has further instructions down the line, but different people own different points and they can change points on the path they own. And the person with the coolest NMC would be first person to establish something (maybe voted on democratically, AND voting on NMC reg.s with unknown owners would be best because then you're not biased in your voting, then the owner would later prove they own it), and then there would be hierarchical inheritance further down.

A garble of thoughts...

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

snailbrain wrote:you could use namecoin for some sort of card game, and trade cards using atomic trading of names..

Right now the Namecoin protocol doesn't allow more than one name per transaction, so you can't trade names. I consider this undesirable, but fixing this is somewhat complex due to the (IMO rather poor) way that Vince implemented the validation rules back in the day. I'm pretty sure this will be fixed at some point though.

Once that's fixed, you could do fun things like CoinJoin for names. (I would *love* to have a coin taint associated with a bunch of subversive names.)
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

nmc000

Post by nmc000 »

For example since name trading itself does not exist as a built in feature, I wouldn't mind just hacking it, with a little bit of an honor system not to attack the system. I don't think it would take more than a dozen lines of bash of linux to accept a few inputs, or we could just have a slimmed down bulletin board of items that are being traded. Or if there's some way to use what already exists on the dotbit.me that could work.

I tried to do a lookup on coin taint in reference to 'a coin taint associated with a bunch of subversive names', sounds interesting, so its kind of related to a hierarchy of names?

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

biolizard89 wrote:
snailbrain wrote:you could use namecoin for some sort of card game, and trade cards using atomic trading of names..

Right now the Namecoin protocol doesn't allow more than one name per transaction, so you can't trade names. I consider this undesirable, but fixing this is somewhat complex due to the (IMO rather poor) way that Vince implemented the validation rules back in the day. I'm pretty sure this will be fixed at some point though.

Once that's fixed, you could do fun things like CoinJoin for names. (I would *love* to have a coin taint associated with a bunch of subversive names.)
Thanks.. even though i meant trade card for nmc, i didn't realize/think you couldn't trade name for name :)