namecoin : Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.9) but 4.8.2-19ubuntu1

senoird

namecoin : Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.9) but 4.8.2-19ubuntu1

Post by senoird »

Im trying to install wallet on Linux Mint 17.1 and I keep getting that error. Can someone explain what that means or what i can do about it.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
namecoin : Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.9) but 4.8.2-19ubuntu1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

josephbisch

Re: namecoin : Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.9) but 4.8.2-19ubun

Post by josephbisch »

I am guessing that you are using the repositories on the download page of the Namecoin website.

The problem is Linux Mint 17.1 is based on Ubuntu 14.04. The package in the Namecoin repository is targetted at Ubuntu 14.10. So some of the dependencies are newer than the ones you would find in Linux Mint 17.1. I don't know much about Linux Mint, but I think 17.1 is the newest version, so upgrading is not an option.

So, you could either download the Namecoin source code and build it yourself, or binaries or a repository for Ubuntu 14.04 can be created. I would provide you with the binaries or a repository myself, but it's not a good idea to trust binaries not from an official source.

The error message means that the Namecoin package from the repository requires a version of libstdc++6 that is version 4.9 or above. However, Linux Mint 17.1 only provides version 4.8.2-19ubuntu1, which (if you leave off the -19ubuntu1) you can see is less than 4.9 (4.8.2 < 4.9).

senoird

Post by senoird »

Thank you for explaining that. I kinda figured that to be the case but Im by no means a linux expert. Ill try building from source.

josephbisch

Post by josephbisch »

pmc wrote:I have packages for 14.04 (among others): http://software.opensuse.org/download.h ... e=namecoin
Oh, sorry, I only saw the 14.10 ones.

So senoird, you could use the repositories pmc linked to, but be sure to use the xUbuntu 14.04 instructions instead of xUbuntu 14.10.