Forum Logo / Official Namecoin Logo

phelix

Re: Forum Logo / Official Namecoin Logo

Post by phelix »

indolering wrote:
Well, it still has the logo rotated - italic and rotation is a ugly imho. Otherwise it's ok with me.
Done, although either my eyes are bugging out or there is some visual illusion that makes it look tilted upward.
Yup, it's one of the oddities of "the current logo" that the italic N has to be aligned with the other italic writing. Note that the version from artisbigshirts honors this.

Because of both the parts of the logo being italic the N and the writing are not distinguished enough in "the current logo", that's why I went for rotated N and standard writing in my suggestion:

btw, it seems the .svg files in your repo include a font which my inkscape can't find (though I have the ubuntu fonts installed). IMHO official logos never should include font files but be converted to plain paths.

Edit: it's a good idea to define cmyk colors but they should be "under color removed", e.g. at most two colors of CMY > 0 plus K >= 0.
I know that this is theoretically possible, but I've never reformulated colors to maximize black ink usage myself. If you would like to recalculate the CMYK, I would be happy to update the readme.
That's very easy. I will check what is a close Pantone standard color.
indolering wrote:Although, I would prefer to keep the lighter blue as the website design uses that color.
Hmm, it seems the colors on the website are all relatively different?

Here is artisbigshirts' version with one of the font color from the website (and the coin a bit closer to the writing similar to the version on the wiki):

nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

indolering

Post by indolering »

phelix wrote: Yup, it's one of the oddities of "the current logo" that the italic N has to be aligned with the other italic writing. Note that the version from artisbigshirts honors this.
Ahh, so we need to use an artificial italic to match the slant? I'll take a look later tonight. From what I remember, I didn't like the original SVG file because it was ineloquently constructed.
phelix wrote: Because of both the parts of the logo being italic the N and the writing are not distinguished enough in "the current logo", that's why I went for rotated N and standard writing in my suggestion:

Yeah, that's why I tried a rotated version as well (and because the Bitcoin "B" is rotated, not italic).
phelix wrote: btw, it seems the .svg files in your repo include a font which my inkscape can't find (though I have the ubuntu fonts installed).
Odd, I will try tweaking the export to embed the font.
phelix wrote: IMHO official logos never should include font files but be converted to plain paths.
I was going for compatibility with Inkscape, what if I created an outlined version? Or perhaps we should have the baseline files outlined and include non-outlined versions ("namecoin-wordmark-font.svg" and "namecoin-logo+wordmark-font.svg")?
phelix wrote: That's very easy. I will check what is a close Pantone standard color.
Duh, Pantone! Added the Pantone swatch and revised the CMYK formula. Have you done some print design?
phelix wrote:
indolering wrote:Although, I would prefer to keep the lighter blue as the website design uses that color.
Hmm, it seems the colors on the website are all relatively different?

Here is artisbigshirts' version with one of the font color from the website (and the coin a bit closer to the writing similar to the version on the wiki):

I still prefer lighter colors for logos, they are peppier and work well with Bitcoin's orange.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

ryanc

Post by ryanc »

http://blockchained.com/stuff/logo_abs_mod.svg

This logo actually looks like the N is rotated slightly counterclockwise, and it's wigging me out. Can we rotate it a degree or two clockwise to counteract that?

phelix

Post by phelix »

ryanc wrote:http://blockchained.com/stuff/logo_abs_mod.svg

This logo actually looks like the N is rotated slightly counterclockwise, and it's wigging me out. Can we rotate it a degree or two clockwise to counteract that?
Sometimes I see it, too. It's the original one, though.

2 degrees psycho view compensation and italic backshift compensation compensation:

@Indo: no outlines, the font just needs to be converted to a path (as in the svg above)

ryanc

Post by ryanc »

phelix wrote:
ryanc wrote:http://blockchained.com/stuff/logo_abs_mod.svg

Sometimes I see it, too. It's the original one, though.

2 degrees psycho view compensation and italic backshift compensation compensation:

@Indo: no outlines, the font just needs to be converted to a path (as in the svg above)
That fixes it for me.

phelix

Post by phelix »

And 1 deg for comparison, it just seemed too much to me on a second look:

indolering

Post by indolering »

phelix wrote: 2 degrees psycho view compensation and italic backshift compensation compensation:

I think this one fixes it for me, when I isolate the logo on the 1 degree it still looks tilted. However, I think I prefer the lighter blue.... Let me do some work over the weekend to see how it looks at different sizes.
phelix wrote: @Indo: no outlines, the font just needs to be converted to a path (as in the svg above)
"Outlining" is slang for converting text to paths :). Back when type handling in printer graphics processors were buggy, everything was "outlined" before being sent to the printer.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

phelix

Post by phelix »

Please everybody who cares give your opinion on color:

Classic: as in Qt
Light: as on the Wiki

Might be helpful to look at these without the forum background: http://blockchained.com/stuff/logo_colors.svg

Above in the thread I got carried away and used a new color that is only used on some website text so far. Also my original suggestion (temporary forum logo) uses yet another color.

Let me know if you feel the N is out of balance (this is the 1 deg version which looks best to me and one person I asked).

ryanc

Post by ryanc »

I like the lighter color, slight preference for black text. Rotation is okay.

domob

Post by domob »

I prefer also light/black. Next preference is dark/gray.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/