Forum Logo / Official Namecoin Logo

phelix

Forum Logo / Official Namecoin Logo

Post by phelix »

There is no official Namecoin logo yet. To put some pressure on this issue I made the forum logo my favorite one (before the logo link was broken, thanks to Cassini for reminding me of this). I created this logo myself a while ago based on various other logos.

If you don't like it you are more than welcome to create a vote about the logo. If people are too much concerned about the forum vote being influenced we could try an open vote or some fancy blockchain based method.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89

Re: Forum Logo / Official Namecoin Logo

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:There is no official Namecoin logo yet. To put some pressure on this issue I made the forum logo my favorite one (before the logo link was broken, thanks to Cassini for reminding me of this). I created this logo myself a while ago based on various other logos.

If you don't like it you are more than welcome to create a vote about the logo. If people are too much concerned about the forum vote being influenced we could try an open vote or some fancy blockchain based method.
The logo that is in Namecoin-Qt is about as official as it gets and I don't see any reason to change it now.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

ryanc

Post by ryanc »

Is the Namecoin-Qt logo the same as the one on the wiki and main site? I like that one.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

ryanc wrote:Is the Namecoin-Qt logo the same as the one on the wiki and main site? I like that one.
Yes, that's the one I'm referring to.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

The Namecoin-Qt Logo is just one random logo and rights on it are unclear.

ryanc

Post by ryanc »

phelix wrote:The Namecoin-Qt Logo is just one random logo and rights on it are unclear.
Who made it?

indolering

Post by indolering »

phelix wrote:There is no official Namecoin logo yet. To put some pressure on this issue I made the forum logo my favorite one (before the logo link was broken, thanks to Cassini for reminding me of this). I created this logo myself a while ago based on various other logos.

Put some pressure on this thing? It seems like you are provoking a confrontation, why didn't you bring this up in a forum thread?
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

phelix

Post by phelix »

indolering wrote:

Put some pressure on this thing? It seems like you are provoking a confrontation, why didn't you bring this up in a forum thread?
Yes :mrgreen: We talked about this plenty in forum threads ages ago.
ryanc wrote:
phelix wrote:The Namecoin-Qt Logo is just one random logo and rights on it are unclear.
Who made it?
Is it this one?
https://forum.namecoin.info/viewtopic.php?p=2731#p2731

We need an official logo that we have rights on. I would like to see some sort of legitimation through a vote or whatever.

indolering

Post by indolering »

phelix wrote: We need an official logo that we have rights on. I would like to see some sort of legitimation through a vote or whatever.
I contacted the original owner and we have the rights to it.
phelix wrote:
indolering wrote: Put some pressure on this thing? It seems like you are provoking a confrontation, why didn't you bring this up in a forum thread?
Yes :mrgreen: We talked about this plenty in forum threads ages ago.
Why are you trying to provoke a confrontation? The last time we talked about it the conclusion was sticking with the existing logo. I don't appreciate the way you are handling this (switching the logo without asking, announcing a competition, etc).

We don't have a large enough fan base to produce a nice logo for free, the last time we had a logo competition we got a bunch of mediocre logos. To justify the effort required to rebuild brand recognition and rebrand the forum, website, wiki, and software the replacement needs to be much better.

As the only real designer in the crowd, I would appreciate it if you deferred to my judgement on this. As I've said before, we need to pay real designers to submit concept sketches and then choose one of those to develop into a final logo.

Can we please shelve this for a few months until we have some funding?

indolering

Post by indolering »

And, for the record, I vote to keep the current logo.