midnightmagic

Re: Forum Logo / Official Namecoin Logo

Post by midnightmagic »

ehh.. I vote for keeping the logo...?

pitbull

Post by pitbull »

Keep the current logo.
Phelix, since you have access to modify the forum would you mind fixing the link in front of the breadcrumb trail that links to the dot-bit wiki? It links to forum.namecoin.info. Please rename it to Namecoin wiki or just wiki perhaps, and update the link to the current wiki? Also, I'd suggest removing your "unofficial" logo because it's confusing and having multiples is bad for namecoin (sound familiar?...) For future reference, I think one forum post would suffice rather than changing it to whatever you please to get attention. While I appreciate the time you put into creating the logo, it doesn't take any training in graphic design to identify bad design. Sorry.

phelix

Post by phelix »

Glad I caught your attention :mrgreen:

Unfortunately there is no "the current logo" as the logos currently used are all slightly different. Different as in coloring and shadow of the N, color of the coin, Indolering style rotation of the N or not, color of the text. Our own websites and software sometimes use two different logos next to each other. Image search for Namecoin brings up a mess.

We should clean this up and I am certain we can do it with little effort. The only thing we need to do is to agree on one of the logos out there. Note that this has not yet been done as far as I am aware.

The essence of the current logos from my point of view is the lower logo from artisbigshirt's original suggestion:

http://blockchained.com/stuff/namecoin_logo.svg
(svg crafted from two of artisbigshirt's svgs to resemble the original bitmap suggestion)

The round edges of the N in the logo above cause me physical pain and I prefer the N from my suggestion but I am willing to bow to a consensus. I don't have a strong opinion about the color of the text as long as it is some dark gray or black. Also I am ok with most current shades of blue of the coin but I feel like the N should be white.

Please state your opinion (maybe with the logo above as a base if at all possible) so that we can agree on something and get this over with or I will torture you with "improved" logo iterations.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

ryanc

Post by ryanc »

https://wiki.namecoin.info/skins/strapp ... n_Logo.png

I like this logo, which is almost the same as the one phelix posted, but with slightly different colors. I'd be fine with changing the "namecoin" to be actually black instead of dark grey.

indolering

Post by indolering »

phelix wrote: Unfortunately there is no "the current logo" as the logos currently used are all slightly different. Different as in coloring and shadow of the N, color of the coin, Indolering style rotation of the N or not, color of the text. Our own websites and software sometimes use two different logos next to each other. Image search for Namecoin brings up a mess.
I already recreated the logo once, matching the existing logo as closely as possible and removing the rotation you mentioned. I put it up as a repo, with export scripts that produce SVG, PNGs in 4 sizes, and automates some of the icons.

I can tweak the blue or make whatever other changes you like :)

I consider the shaded version used in the background on the website to be an approved variant :)
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

indolering

Post by indolering »

Although, I would prefer to keep the lighter blue as the website design uses that color.

domob

Post by domob »

I like the one phelix posted last or the variant of Ryan. Both of them are fine. I have to admit that I like them better than the one currently on the forum (I like the round edges in the N).
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

phelix

Post by phelix »

ryanc wrote:https://wiki.namecoin.info/skins/strapp ... n_Logo.png

I like this logo, which is almost the same as the one phelix posted, but with slightly different colors. I'd be fine with changing the "namecoin" to be actually black instead of dark grey.
indolering wrote:
phelix wrote: Unfortunately there is no "the current logo" as the logos currently used are all slightly different. Different as in coloring and shadow of the N, color of the coin, Indolering style rotation of the N or not, color of the text. Our own websites and software sometimes use two different logos next to each other. Image search for Namecoin brings up a mess.
I already recreated the logo once, matching the existing logo as closely as possible and removing the rotation you mentioned. I put it up as a repo, with export scripts that produce SVG, PNGs in 4 sizes, and automates some of the icons.)
Well, it still has the logo rotated - italic and rotation is a ugly imho. Otherwise it's ok with me.

Edit: it's a good idea to define cmyk colors but they should be "under color removed", e.g. at most two colors of CMY > 0 plus K >= 0.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

foglight

Post by foglight »

my preference in order:

1) not-rotated, italic N. blue background. http://blockchained.com/stuff/namecoin_logo.svg

2) rotated, italic N. https://wiki.namecoin.info/skins/strapp ... n_Logo.png

3) rotated, not italic N. dark background. phelix's version with dark background and square edged N. (not a fan)

indolering

Post by indolering »

Well, it still has the logo rotated - italic and rotation is a ugly imho. Otherwise it's ok with me.
Done, although either my eyes are bugging out or there is some visual illusion that makes it look tilted upward.
Edit: it's a good idea to define cmyk colors but they should be "under color removed", e.g. at most two colors of CMY > 0 plus K >= 0.
I know that this is theoretically possible, but I've never reformulated colors to maximize black ink usage myself. If you would like to recalculate the CMYK, I would be happy to update the readme.