Shortened URLs .bit - Referral Program

btcmacroecon

Shortened URLs .bit - Referral Program

Post by btcmacroecon »

I started kicking around the need for a shortened URL for .bit (Namecoin technology) and realize it would be script, and I do realize there are scripts for referral programs.
I started getting some interest even to the extent that an engineer started registering Namecoin domain, etc. His comment was that Namecoin is far off from being able to do a shortened URL scenario....
I want to set up the script to shorten the URL and find "wholesalers" or advertisers (be it if the starting point is .01 or higher with markup) and set it up so the developers get a cut of the action, be it sale of the block (for redistribution) or the pay per click scenario (if possible to break down to shortened URL with Namecoin) and also a cut on the referral program for those that attract users, all while the script could be resold as well be it to Bitcoin, Doge, etc, if completed and if possible.
I mean they took down Wiziwug and now have to figure out where to get bootleg UFC and think a shortened URL for Namecoin would have solved this problem.

Do you think that Namecoin is too far off from even considering this shortened URL for Namecoin? I'd like to move ahead as I believe this shortened URL would thrive as others monetize content. It's just I am a bit ignorant as to using Namecoin or where it stands in utilization.

Any thoughts? Figured today is the day to ask with the pow wow that appears to be going on.

What do you think of a shortened URL service for Namecoin and would that conceivably work given the domain nature of the coin? Could the URLs be broken down if a "block" was purchased? And would "blocks" have to be above the .01 threshold in order to break down to redistribution of the shortened URLs? For example someone bought 1 Namecoin, could the block be piecemealed to shortened URLs down to the .01 or could .01 Namecoin (domain registration) be broken down into shortened URLs?

Just a concept please dont chastize me for my ignorance!

phelix

Re: Shortened URLs .bit - Referral Program

Post by phelix »

Sounds interesting but I don't quite get it. Do you want to use the blockchain as a data source for a legacy domain url shortener?
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

btcmacroecon

Post by btcmacroecon »

Well, I'm not exactly sure as to your meaning of the words, but I would want redistribution of the .bit (in shortened URL form) for the exact same capabilities as Namecoin itself, but redistributed for monetization purposes of content or advertising, but with protections built right into it.
Nefarious purposes is not the intent nor my problem.
I just use the example of Youtube (in Turkey) because there was a time Youtube was banned. That's all that is is an example. Censorship is UNamerican. I just see this as a technological breakthrough and see a time this can be used to fight the war on minds.
The question comes down to can smaller blocks (under .01 Namecoin) be redistributed in this fashion? If not the larger block of .01 Namecoin would have to be the norm, plus a little more for markups, etc.
Talking of just a script for shortened URL's with the ability to utilize Namecoin, though all coins could be used, but...Namecoin is where the beauty is at and where there is value.
Now I will go research your choice of words!
Thanks for your feedback and question. Just conceptual stage right now. I am here for research and to learn more about Namecoin.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Hi,

I'm not certain I understand what you're aiming for. You want a decentralized URL shortener (like tinyurl) for .bit? That's probably possible; domain owners would register a short d/ name, and point it to the target website. The proposed "http" field would be potentially helpful, as it would allow pointing to an arbitrary HTTP URL without needing to configure the server.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

btcmacroecon

Post by btcmacroecon »

You are getting it...while I am hearing what you are saying....
Question comes down could a person just shorten their URL without registering domain....meaning just shorten the URL....versus signing up under a "block" or wholesaled block via an advertiser or wholesaler? It seems it could only be one sided. But yah this is a project I want to start or stay on....