Regular Public Developer IRC meetings?

biolizard89

Regular Public Developer IRC meetings?

Post by biolizard89 »

So, disclaimer: this is just an idea, and I have no idea if it will actually happen. Consider this an informal survey, not a promise.

Lately we've had a few new people who are interested in development. Unfortunately bringing them on-board has been kind of ad-hoc, because there's not a great way to have a low-latency conversation with current developers to bounce ideas off of. None of the current devs are in IRC at predictable, consistent times, and many devs are rarely on IRC at all. Forums have too much latency and overhead for quick back-and-forth discussions. I wonder how many potential developers this has dissuaded.

So, I'm wondering if anyone would be up for having a public developer IRC meeting circa every 2 weeks. This would serve mainly 3 purposes: current developers can update everyone else on what they've been doing, interested new developers can use it as an opportunity to get involved in discussions, ask questions, etc., and interested average users get to see how the dev process works (because transparency is good). This is basically the model that Tor uses, and it seems to work well for them.

If anyone thinks this is a good idea, please reply and give your feedback. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea, I'd love that feedback too. Bonus points for your answer if you're actually interested in getting more involved in development.

Cheers.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

virtual_master

Re: Regular Public Developer IRC meetings?

Post by virtual_master »

biolizard89 wrote:So, disclaimer: this is just an idea, and I have no idea if it will actually happen. Consider this an informal survey, not a promise.

Lately we've had a few new people who are interested in development. Unfortunately bringing them on-board has been kind of ad-hoc, because there's not a great way to have a low-latency conversation with current developers to bounce ideas off of. None of the current devs are in IRC at predictable, consistent times, and many devs are rarely on IRC at all. Forums have too much latency and overhead for quick back-and-forth discussions. I wonder how many potential developers this has dissuaded.

So, I'm wondering if anyone would be up for having a public developer IRC meeting circa every 2 weeks. This would serve mainly 3 purposes: current developers can update everyone else on what they've been doing, interested new developers can use it as an opportunity to get involved in discussions, ask questions, etc., and interested average users get to see how the dev process works (because transparency is good). This is basically the model that Tor uses, and it seems to work well for them.

If anyone thinks this is a good idea, please reply and give your feedback. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea, I'd love that feedback too. Bonus points for your answer if you're actually interested in getting more involved in development.

Cheers.
I support your idea.
Just a small addition to it. It would be more convenient and easier to remember if the time is once a week in the same time even if it would be only for one hour.
But even if it is once in 1.5 weeks or with irregularity it is better then not at all.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S