EFF, Wikileaks namecoin donations

moa

EFF, Wikileaks namecoin donations

Post by moa »

I've been thinking about setting up namecoin donation addresses for EFF and Wikileaks. However, given the fiasco with the bitcoin donations to EFF it may not be wise to do so without getting their consent in advance to avoid another unseemly drama.

Wikileaks is probably going to be quite receptive and I do not see anything but support from them.

I would find it hard to see how EFF could have a problem with namecoins given the DNS aspect of the project but you never know which way the legal minds might twist it.

In any event, it is probably better to wait until a usuable GUI is available for the recipients to more easily access and utilise their NMC.

Thoughts, comments?

JohnDoe

Re: EFF, Wikileaks namecoin donations

Post by JohnDoe »

I think it would be better to wait for the orgs to set up donation addresses on their sites before donating.

Wikileaks has already shown some love for Namecoin so I wouldn't be surprised if they set up a donation address in the short term. It would be pretty cool if we could get the owners of d/wikileaks and d/julianassange to donate the domains to them. I see no chance on the EFF front though. Their argument will be the same as with Bitcoin: they are unsure about the legality of accepting NMC donations so they'll stay clear from it.

caston

Post by caston »

I'd just like to say that Rejuvepedia is accepting namecoin donations. http://www.rejuvepedia.org

I run Rejuvepedia and donations are used to help pay bloggers and writers that produce content for Rejuvepedia

caston

Post by caston »

caston wrote:I'd just like to say that Rejuvepedia is accepting namecoin donations. http://www.rejuvepedia.org

I run Rejuvepedia and donations are used to help pay bloggers and writers that produce content for Rejuvepedia

So far I have had two bloggers take up this offer. I think that this will help the namecoin project by giving people a taste of namecoin which will make
them hungry for more.

gigabytecoin

Post by gigabytecoin »

JohnDoe wrote:I think it would be better to wait for the orgs to set up donation addresses on their sites before donating.

Wikileaks has already shown some love for Namecoin so I wouldn't be surprised if they set up a donation address in the short term. It would be pretty cool if we could get the owners of d/wikileaks and d/julianassange to donate the domains to them. I see no chance on the EFF front though. Their argument will be the same as with Bitcoin: they are unsure about the legality of accepting NMC donations so they'll stay clear from it.
I think that Namecoin might resonate with EFF a bit more strongly than bitcoin did.

If they took the donations in an effort to re-distribute them to oppressed peoples or something... I bet their lawyers would be ok with it.

zamgo

Post by zamgo »

Sadly, I think the case EFF made against accepting bitcoin donations is the exact same case they'll make for not accepting namecoin donations.

So scratch EFF off the list, they don't want our coins.

moa

Post by moa »

They may be wrapped into a Gordian knot with the complex legal issues surrounding the coins but perhaps they would like to have the domain name donated;

eff.bit

Anybody know who has it.