Proof Of Existence

matply

Proof Of Existence

Post by matply »

Hi

I am working on a proof of existing project and would like to know what would be the recommended way to store the data? OP_return or is there a better alternative.

Ideally I would like to store some json data?

Thank you

phelix

Re: Proof Of Existence

Post by phelix »

matply wrote:Hi

I am working on a proof of existing project and would like to know what would be the recommended way to store the data? OP_return or is there a better alternative.

Ideally I would like to store some json data?

Thank you
Sounds interesting. Could you explain what exactly you mean by proof of existing? Do you mean timestamps?

Do you not want to store your data as Namecoin key/value items?
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

domob

Post by domob »

As phelix already wrote: Namecoin is kind of "ideal" for timestamps, since you do not have to resort to things like OP_RETURN. Just store your data as the value of some name. You can even reuse the same name in a new transaction later, since all historical values are forever part of the blockchain.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

matply

Post by matply »

phelix wrote: Sounds interesting. Could you explain what exactly you mean by proof of existing? Do you mean timestamps?

Do you not want to store your data as Namecoin key/value items?

Sorry, should have meant "proof of existence". Yes, hashing documents and time stamping them in the block chain. From what I understand, namecoin was built for things like these (vs bitcoin)

I have been trying to wrap my head around the key/value items. I thought these were mainly for registering the .bit domain names. If one were to store data as Namecoin key/value items are there any limitation in terms of size, expiry ? or perhaps node blocking these transactions. Can the namecoin key/value items API be accessed using the namecoin client api?

Cheers

matply

Post by matply »

domob wrote:As phelix already wrote: Namecoin is kind of "ideal" for timestamps, since you do not have to resort to things like OP_RETURN. Just store your data as the value of some name. You can even reuse the same name in a new transaction later, since all historical values are forever part of the blockchain.
That sounds good. If there any kind of documentation for the api that you can point me towards ?

thanks

kurt

Post by kurt »

Namecoin expiery is a massive problem

Block/time/renewal/reward

so does bitcoin

mightbemike

Post by mightbemike »

Expiry is not an issue unless your "proof" is a spend from that address, or signing something with the corresponding private key.

I've been using something like this to "prove" that I wrote articles. http://poa.mikeward.net
As far as I can figure, nobody can dispute my claim.

It's a proof of concept, not a working website, ok? No money, no partners => very slow progress. Anyone reading this who wants to help make it happen hit me up. You reading this Barry Silbert???
NMC: NFhmGAqzRpZbGs3uCPPo7DJKuscuL4Aap2
id/mightbemike

matply

Post by matply »

mightbemike wrote:Expiry is not an issue unless your "proof" is a spend from that address, or signing something with the corresponding private key.

I've been using something like this to "prove" that I wrote articles. http://poa.mikeward.net
As far as I can figure, nobody can dispute my claim.

It's a proof of concept, not a working website, ok? No money, no partners => very slow progress. Anyone reading this who wants to help make it happen hit me up. You reading this Barry Silbert???
I think this is what monegraph is doing. So are you using a customer name pair like "mikeward/XXXXXHASH" and a correponding data?

Testing with the namecoin client it looks like it takes a few hours after the key/value pairs are submitted.

I think other than that what is lacking is a really good block explorer

matply

Post by matply »

mightbemike wrote:

Btw, did you write that http://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/na ... e-internet ?

Its really good. Straight forward and easy to understand introduction.

mightbemike

Post by mightbemike »

I'm tying a namecoin identity, like id/mikeward to a signed (but not encrypted) document and a pseudo-timestamp by inserting the hash of it into the blockchain.

Thanks for the compliment, glad you liked the article. Also I usually use namecha.in as block explorer these days, I like it.

Expiry is an issue for Monegraph. They need to renew, because they want the ability to transfer "rights" to a creative work. I never need to NAME_UPDATE because mine is just about who was involved with a document and when.

I insert this stuff before it is published in a public place. In the case of articles, I think an update after the editor is done is a good idea too.

What would really help me (aside from money) is feedback on the data format. Anyone?

NMC: NFhmGAqzRpZbGs3uCPPo7DJKuscuL4Aap2
id/mightbemike