Proof Of Existence

matply

Re: Proof Of Existence

Post by matply »

mightbemike wrote:I'm tying a namecoin identity, like id/mikeward to a signed (but not encrypted) document and a pseudo-timestamp by inserting the hash of it into the blockchain.

Thanks for the compliment, glad you liked the article. Also I usually use namecha.in as block explorer these days, I like it.

Expiry is an issue for Monegraph. They need to renew, because they want the ability to transfer "rights" to a creative work. I never need to NAME_UPDATE because mine is just about who was involved with a document and when.

I insert this stuff before it is published in a public place. In the case of articles, I think an update after the editor is done is a good idea too.

What would really help me (aside from money) is feedback on the data format. Anyone?

Is the ability to transfer "rights" the only thing you lose by not renewing (name_update)?

mightbemike

Post by mightbemike »

matply wrote:Is the ability to transfer "rights" the only thing you lose by not renewing (name_update)?
I don't see why you need to in many cases, like making a claim of authorship.
It seems like it would make everthing simpler if you're thinking about documents that can be updated, but I don't think it's ever actually neccessary.
NMC: NFhmGAqzRpZbGs3uCPPo7DJKuscuL4Aap2
id/mightbemike

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

For what it's worth, there is some discussion of possibly modifying Namecoin in the future so that expired names actually have their data discarded. It is not decided whether this will happen, and if it happens, it will be a long time in the future, will only affect names registered after that point, and will be discussed a lot in public in advance. But, be aware that there is some discussion on that topic.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob

Post by domob »

biolizard89 wrote:For what it's worth, there is some discussion of possibly modifying Namecoin in the future so that expired names actually have their data discarded. It is not decided whether this will happen, and if it happens, it will be a long time in the future, will only affect names registered after that point, and will be discussed a lot in public in advance. But, be aware that there is some discussion on that topic.
I'm not exactly sure about what you mean here ... probably I'm just missing the connection to some of the proposals raised in recent times. :) However, the value should still be at least part of the "hash tree" that the blockchain represents. So at least as long as someone personally keeps the Merkle branch or full blockchain (without pruning anything), they will still be able to prove that the value was there at some time in the past.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

matply

Post by matply »

biolizard89 wrote:For what it's worth, there is some discussion of possibly modifying Namecoin in the future so that expired names actually have their data discarded. It is not decided whether this will happen, and if it happens, it will be a long time in the future, will only affect names registered after that point, and will be discussed a lot in public in advance. But, be aware that there is some discussion on that topic.
This would be a bummer, however I would think that even if this was employed there would a block cut-off for this and would probably require a fork if it involves removing past data already in the block