Official Facebook Page

sudoquai

Re: Official Facebook Page

Post by sudoquai »

indolering wrote:We've had outside developers report of shady content being posted to "namecoin's" social media accounts. The most disturbing claim is that Namecoin is anonymous, something core developers disagree with as we have not specifically tested to ensure that Namecoin does not leak information when used in conjunction Tor, our primary "anonymous" use case.

This claim dangerous and incredibly embarrassing to the core developers. I've created a Facebook page that is controlled by Namecoin developers. I had been holding off until I had time to redo the website and iconography but we've let this problem fester for too long.
You mean http://fb.me/Namecoin.org - this site is managed by a team (including me) over Facebook, partners at Google+ and support from partners. We can see nothing "shady" like you prefer to claim. It's neither a "fiefdom" and neither we refused to work with you like you prefer to claim. It's more the thing not every wish could be easily realized, neither we remember to have a contract of employment from you and doubt your are in the right position to give us one. Keep in mind you are in a team as well and this means teamwork, consensus and respecting sometimes "no".

If you have a wish, feel free send us a message over the site - our team will look over it.

This is the posting from the Facebook site, you mean most likely:

David Sancho of Trend Micro, a global Leader of #Internet #Security says:

“You have #anonymity, #privacy and sturdiness. There is no way that any government or any authority can take down a .BIT #Domain.”

“They won’t be able to do anything, and that’s the smart thing about it.”

Coindesk says. "If Sancho’s theory is correct, a .BIT Botnet is now even more robust ..."

http://www.coindesk.com/trend-micro-rep ... -namecoin/
http://www.trendmicro.com.au/cloud-cont ... omains.pdf

Check the links, you are welcome.

To underline it, these are cites from: Coindesk and Trendmicro (over 5000 workers). Most likely you are going to Coindesk next and Trend Micro asking them gentle to remove their citing and call them shady and crank isn't it? This will not improve your reputation and will fall back to you.

Freedom of press or your own cites from the homepage "Freedom of information" and "Against censorship" are terms you know good about and i am sure you respect them, somehow ...

I think the main reason for this step is, to have "control" over an own "fiefdom" like on many other things. Keep in mind that Namecoin is a community project and not a centralized company, which you can control, trademark or even own. With growing popularity there will be many Namecoin sites, which would be hard to control or even censor. Nevertheless we really appreciate making a own Facebook site, so on this way you will see, that this i hard work. Think about it, but our site is not your property - this is sure.

Nevertheless we wish you good luck and to be successfull with your own approach, more publicity will improve Namecoin's awareness level for sure. We hope, you will not forget to develop further on libcoin. We believe this would be more important as a developer.

For all interested people to have a look on our site, you are welcome. If somebody wants to help writing or improving new articles feel free to contact us over Facebook.

Original Facebook Page: http://fb.me/Namecoin.org

Best regards,

Sudo.
Last edited by sudoquai on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
NameID: id/sudo.wonder >>> Namecoin @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/namecoin.org

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

This post has been voluntarily removed in an effort to promote on-topic discussion. Cheers!
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:
indolering wrote:We've had outside developers report of shady content being posted to "namecoin's" social media accounts. The most disturbing claim is that Namecoin is anonymous, something core developers disagree with as we have not specifically tested to ensure that Namecoin does not leak information when used in conjunction Tor, our primary "anonymous" use case.

This claim dangerous and incredibly embarrassing to the core developers. I've created a Facebook page that is controlled by Namecoin developers. I had been holding off until I had time to redo the website and iconography but we've let this problem fester for too long.
Thanks indolering. I've Liked the page. I would ACK a pull request to the namecoin.info repo that links to the page you've set up (along with a warning that other Namecoin-related pages on Facebook are not endorsed by us).
IMHO Facebook goes contrary to a lot of things Namecoin stands for. I suggest we do not link to any of the Facebook pages.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

indolering

Post by indolering »

biolizard89 wrote:
indolering wrote:
biolizard89 wrote: I spent a few hours looking for free multi-user Twitter systems a couple months ago; I couldn't find any that looked reputable. Unless someone here has a good suggestion, I'd suggest just going with a reputable service even if it costs a little.
Twitter actually has a multi-user system, I just wanted one that would federate across Facebook, Twitter, and G+. I could setup Hootsuite and share the password across trusted mods. Makes it difficult to track down who posted what, however.
I would very much suggest not using something that doesn't have accountability for who posts what. What multi-user system does Twitter have? I can't find anything via Startpage.
TweetDeck.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

indolering wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
indolering wrote:Twitter actually has a multi-user system, I just wanted one that would federate across Facebook, Twitter, and G+. I could setup Hootsuite and share the password across trusted mods. Makes it difficult to track down who posted what, however.
I would very much suggest not using something that doesn't have accountability for who posts what. What multi-user system does Twitter have? I can't find anything via Startpage.
TweetDeck.
Interesting, wasn't aware that TweetDeck could do that. Does TweetDeck actually keep track of who posts what?
phelix wrote:IMHO Facebook goes contrary to a lot of things Namecoin stands for. I suggest we do not link to any of the Facebook pages.
Ignoring social media services is what got is where we are now -- a shitty situation where scam accounts are assumed to be official by end users. I would love it if Facebook were replaced by something decentralized, but that's not our battle. As long as Facebook has a large userbase, we should have a presence. I'm not advocating telling non-Facebook users to go there, nor am I advocating putting exclusive information on Facebook. Think pragmatically. (Also for the record, I voted for Rocky Anderson for US President -- I don't say "think pragmatically" lightly.)
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

sudoquai

Post by sudoquai »

phelix wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:

Thanks indolering. I've Liked the page. I would ACK a pull request to the namecoin.info repo that links to the page you've set up (along with a warning that other Namecoin-related pages on Facebook are not endorsed by us).
IMHO Facebook goes contrary to a lot of things Namecoin stands for. I suggest we do not link to any of the Facebook pages.
From my personal view i must clearly agree to Phelix opinion and would accept this decision, though i am managing Facebook partly together with a team of around 5 people. I cant speak for the other social sites of Namecoin, but i think they are thinking similar.

It seems user indolering and user biolizard89 doesn't respect this very much. From my point of view this sounds very suggestive by overriding other people's opinion and claiming this would be a consensus in a suggestive way, especially by running around claiming they are Namecoin (core?) developers themselves and collecting "official" badges. The term official has no meaning in a decentralized community project. It's no problem to call the original facebook page official as well, but i don't think this is necessary because a lot of people like it.

The core developers of Namecoin can be easily identified by looking at github (especially the commits from the last months):

https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin/commits/namecoinq
https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin/gr ... ntributors

PhelixNMC: 57 commits / 2,220 ++ / 1,695 -- (Owner of Repository https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin)
PhelixBTC: 17 commits / 33 ++ / 41 --
Domob: 109 commits / 3,545 ++ / 1,636 --
Digital-Dreamer: 6 commits / 385 ++ / 352 --
Canercandan: 2 commits / 91 ++ / 40 --

Don't know the exact role of user indolering, but it looks a lot for me that his main approach is a lot of discussions, suggests and explaining he is a Namecoin developer by using doubtful arguments. It's sad that user biolizard89 is thinking similar. We have been forced to lock them temporarily out from the Namecoin facebook group, after they have tried to make some trouble, sorry for that.

Please correct me, maybe i am wrong, but software like NMControl, MeowBit, FreeSpeechMe and DNSChain are built on top of the Namecoin protocol and i wouldn't count them belonging to the main core Namecoin (protocol) development. This isn't a weighting of the software - they are very usefull (especially DNSCHain, which looks like the most professional solution for resolving .bit domain names, imho - i like and use it personally a lot)

Best regards,

Sudo
NameID: id/sudo.wonder >>> Namecoin @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/namecoin.org

signup292

Post by signup292 »

Last edited by signup292 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

signup292

Post by signup292 »

Last edited by signup292 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swedespade

Post by Swedespade »

Signup292 makes a good point. But take a case of a new investor or developer deciding where they should invest themselves when looking at all their investment options. The growth in altcoins in unprecedented and unexpected. There are lots of choices. It doesn't help that we have the stigma of being the first alt coin. Everyone knows that most of the time the first of anything doesn't outlast its successors...

The landscape is changing quickly, stay on your toes.

indolering

Post by indolering »

If this was just about spam or low-quality marketing, I wouldn't be bothering with all this. The problem is that by promoting Namecoin as anonymous before we've committed ourselves to a Tor-safe lite client and implemented ZeroCash anonymity for domain purchases, it's not safe.

Sudo has threatened legal actions against a core dev and persists in trying to manufacture the anonymity features before it's safe to do so. When I tried to cooperate with him on the logo thing, he violated a shared understanding of how we would proceed. The first few times he started promoting the anonymity feature we spoke and he agreed not to post anything regarding anonymity without passing through us first. Then he turned around and did it again.

I'm fine with Sudo contributing to the official social media channels and I'd welcome his participation, but it has to be under a scheme in which trusted devs have the final say on what gets put out. We do not want this job and we all wish a reliable contributor had taken the initiative early on so we wouldn't be in this situation. That's not the case and now we have to go through this ugly process.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.