Official Facebook Page

indolering

Official Facebook Page

Post by indolering »

We've had outside developers report of shady content being posted to "namecoin's" social media accounts. The most disturbing claim is that Namecoin is anonymous, something core developers disagree with as we have not specifically tested to ensure that Namecoin does not leak information when used in conjunction Tor, our primary "anonymous" use case.

This claim dangerous and incredibly embarrassing to the core developers. I've created a Facebook page that is controlled by Namecoin developers. I had been holding off until I had time to redo the website and iconography but we've let this problem fester for too long.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

John Kenney

Re: Official Facebook Page

Post by John Kenney »

gigabytecoin

Post by gigabytecoin »

I assume you're referring to "sudoquai's" https://www.facebook.com/Namecoin.org facebook page that he spams as often as possible via reddit and the trollbox?

Yes, we definitely need a better/official namecoin facebook page that's filled with real information and not altcoin comics.

I suggest you reach out to sudoquai and ask that he help promote the new facebook page, as he certainly did a good job of promoting his original page... almost too good a job :S

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

indolering wrote:We've had outside developers report of shady content being posted to "namecoin's" social media accounts. The most disturbing claim is that Namecoin is anonymous, something core developers disagree with as we have not specifically tested to ensure that Namecoin does not leak information when used in conjunction Tor, our primary "anonymous" use case.

This claim dangerous and incredibly embarrassing to the core developers. I've created a Facebook page that is controlled by Namecoin developers. I had been holding off until I had time to redo the website and iconography but we've let this problem fester for too long.
Thanks indolering. I've Liked the page. I would ACK a pull request to the namecoin.info repo that links to the page you've set up (along with a warning that other Namecoin-related pages on Facebook are not endorsed by us).
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

mightbemike

Post by mightbemike »

I liked it. But I suspect you'll have little time to keep the page updated. And it's a shame to throw the baby (frequent promotional activity) out with the bathwater (misinformation).

If this were a company, the overly zealous marketing department making claims that have the engineers cringing would be told to check with some central contact first, before running with the campaign. If @sudoquai checks with @indolering first, then no claim of anonymity ever gets made.

Of course this is an issue in all unstructured organizations. A lot of wild, unfounded claims being made around the web now about BitsharesDNS by various enthusiasts who don't fully grok what it is and is not. It's a growing problem for them. But for Namecoin, one facebook page might be manageable, no?
NMC: NFhmGAqzRpZbGs3uCPPo7DJKuscuL4Aap2
id/mightbemike

indolering

Post by indolering »

mightbemike wrote:I liked it. But I suspect you'll have little time to keep the page updated. And it's a shame to throw the baby (frequent promotional activity) out with the bathwater (misinformation).

If this were a company, the overly zealous marketing department making claims that have the engineers cringing would be told to check with some central contact first, before running with the campaign. If @sudoquai checks with @indolering first, then no claim of anonymity ever gets made.
I totally agree, but Sudo would never relinquish control of his Facebook fiefdom. It's unfortunate that he refuses to work with us on this.

I'm going to try and get the Twitter account setup this weekend as well. Hootsuite requires payment for multi-user accounts. Any suggestions on alternatives?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

indolering wrote:
mightbemike wrote:I liked it. But I suspect you'll have little time to keep the page updated. And it's a shame to throw the baby (frequent promotional activity) out with the bathwater (misinformation).

I totally agree, but Sudo would never relinquish control of his Facebook fiefdom. It's unfortunate that he refuses to work with us on this.

I'm going to try and get the Twitter account setup this weekend as well. Hootsuite requires payment for multi-user accounts. Any suggestions on alternatives?
I spent a few hours looking for free multi-user Twitter systems a couple months ago; I couldn't find any that looked reputable. Unless someone here has a good suggestion, I'd suggest just going with a reputable service even if it costs a little.

EDIT: This one looks fairly reputable: http://grouptweet.com/

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

John Kenney

Post by John Kenney »

It needs some posts on it, rather than just the ukash spam. If you're going to allow posts from others then somebody needs to block the spammers, Facebook don't do anything about it.

indolering

Post by indolering »

biolizard89 wrote: I spent a few hours looking for free multi-user Twitter systems a couple months ago; I couldn't find any that looked reputable. Unless someone here has a good suggestion, I'd suggest just going with a reputable service even if it costs a little.
Twitter actually has a multi-user system, I just wanted one that would federate across Facebook, Twitter, and G+. I could setup Hootsuite and share the password across trusted mods. Makes it difficult to track down who posted what, however.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

indolering wrote:
biolizard89 wrote: I spent a few hours looking for free multi-user Twitter systems a couple months ago; I couldn't find any that looked reputable. Unless someone here has a good suggestion, I'd suggest just going with a reputable service even if it costs a little.
Twitter actually has a multi-user system, I just wanted one that would federate across Facebook, Twitter, and G+. I could setup Hootsuite and share the password across trusted mods. Makes it difficult to track down who posted what, however.
I would very much suggest not using something that doesn't have accountability for who posts what. What multi-user system does Twitter have? I can't find anything via Startpage.