NMC price and domain hoarding

sudoquai
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:48 am
os: linux
Contact:

Re: NMC price and domain hoarding

Post by sudoquai » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:12 pm

signup292 wrote:
NMC: more stable than BTC!
tosh0 where do you get this idea?

I'd say it's more stable than other altcoins because of its long history, merge mining, and near 0 pumping schemes. more than BTC though not sure
I've thought exactly the same. And: Renewal fees has to be made.
NameID: id/sudo.wonder >>> Namecoin @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/namecoin.org

sudoquai
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:48 am
os: linux
Contact:

Re: NMC price and domain hoarding

Post by sudoquai » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:41 pm

1) I suggest a detailed project plan with a collaborative mindmap as a first step, second step using tools like phprojekt and making it public, third step presenting this plan (but please nice to watch with good media) and a indiegogo or an other fundraiser.

2) Adsense will not happen ? Why - no traffic at the forum or personal reasons ? Adsense is one of the best ways to collect money.

3) Different Fundraiser - (please look at 1)

4) MUST HAVE - Name trading ! Together with renewal fees squatters are forced to get what they want. Sell domains or drop them - and every sell means a happy buyer who bought. Both sides will be satisfied. I've seen domob and snailbrain discussed together who to realize this. I think they would help you, Bio.

5) I could make a diagram - i've thought this idea would be clear. I mean a Facebook-Like "Like" System. Example: You've collected over Namecoin 1000 Likes (maybe for FreeSpeech or whatever). That means 1000 Likes are assigned from different /id Names to /id biolizard. Now somebody is going to register a new name. Instead of destroying NMC the wallet decides to give the fees to all people with likes in the NMC network. The one with the most likes will get the most. That means, that NOT you only as a developer is getting fees, the system decides dynamically who is getting the fees by looking up Likes assigned to /id Names. Everybody has the chance to get the fees. This would be a big game changer - don't underestimate this suggestion.

And yes, suggestions are how progress happens. But not suggestions (or talking) only - it is more realizing them.

Best regards,

Sudo
NameID: id/sudo.wonder >>> Namecoin @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/namecoin.org

phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: NMC price and domain hoarding

Post by phelix » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:55 pm

sudoquai wrote: 5) I could make a diagram - i've thought this idea would be clear. I mean a Facebook-Like "Like" System. Example: You've collected over Namecoin 1000 Likes (maybe for FreeSpeech or whatever). That means 1000 Likes are assigned from different /id Names to /id biolizard. Now somebody is going to register a new name. Instead of destroying NMC the wallet decides to give the fees to all people with likes in the NMC network. The one with the most likes will get the most. That means, that NOT you only as a developer is getting fees, the system decides dynamically who is getting the fees by looking up Likes assigned to /id Names. Everybody has the chance to get the fees. This would be a big game changer - don't underestimate this suggestion.
+1

It's like distributing fees via a web of trust. One would have to take action against a Sybil attack but I think it should be feasible.

Note that IMHO squatting in Namecoin is overstated. So far squatters seem to be quite reasonable. The much larger issue is that so little people actually use .bit domains.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

knightArmor
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:48 pm

Re: NMC price and domain hoarding

Post by knightArmor » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:21 pm

Hi, We have a good few ideas here on what could be the way forward on the pricing of renewal fees for domain names, but I think this needs to be carefully planned as we have a huge number of coins that are hitting the market and that can only mean one thing. If namecoin gets its pricing wrong then the whole thing can fall flat and result in a competing coin with the right model to take take the lead and gain market dominance.

So here is my suggestion on this issue of domain renewal pricing:
In order for namecoin to have an active userbase we need to avoid locking out different parties that want to use namecoin but cannot afford renewal fees and then at the same time make domain squatters pay if they want to hold domain names. So how do we do this?

The possible way forward here is to have a floating domain renewal price. i say that the renewal fee should be based on the amount of traffic that a domain gets. In this way if a person who has a low traffic domain, then he can still renew it and if say a squatter is making tons of money by driving lots of traffic to his site then his renewal fee must be based on the volume of traffic.

I say that this could be a better method because:
Lets say you have many individuals who have different rights/views/greviances/complaints/ etc that they want to publish using the .bit domains then how would they do that if the renewal fee is set too high and that these individuals are lacking financial power. We might even have non profit bodies that want to voice the views etc using .bit domains or even people in impoverished states and regimes. How do they pay the renewal fee? The possible way for them is pay using the profits they make from the traffic that they get to the website.
Assuming the those individuals start to drive traffic to the website then they can monetize the site and use profits to pay the renewal fees.If they are not getting much traffic to the site then the lower renewal fee will still allow them to have freedom of speech.

Even if a name squatter starts to drive traffic in large numbers to his site then the renewal fee will increase accordingly.
By floating the renewal fee we try to bring a delicate balance to those who can and those cannot pay the renewal fee. A set fee will just not work out well because we are trying to create a domain system for the people and sometimes people cannot afford it. Namecoin needs to cater for those that are rich and poor. Cater for only the rich or only the poor, then namecoin will fail.

Remember that credit cards are the reason why we like crypto currency, those credit card companies charge way more than what the average joe can afford. We cannot let namecoin become like them credit card companies or else people wont like crypto coins.

phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: NMC price and domain hoarding

Post by phelix » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:19 pm

knightArmor wrote: The possible way forward here is to have a floating domain renewal price. i say that the renewal fee should be based on the amount of traffic that a domain gets.
Unfortunately it is impossible for the network to know the amount of traffic...
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: NMC price and domain hoarding

Post by biolizard89 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:23 am

phelix wrote:
sudoquai wrote: 5) I could make a diagram - i've thought this idea would be clear. I mean a Facebook-Like "Like" System. Example: You've collected over Namecoin 1000 Likes (maybe for FreeSpeech or whatever). That means 1000 Likes are assigned from different /id Names to /id biolizard. Now somebody is going to register a new name. Instead of destroying NMC the wallet decides to give the fees to all people with likes in the NMC network. The one with the most likes will get the most. That means, that NOT you only as a developer is getting fees, the system decides dynamically who is getting the fees by looking up Likes assigned to /id Names. Everybody has the chance to get the fees. This would be a big game changer - don't underestimate this suggestion.
+1

It's like distributing fees via a web of trust. One would have to take action against a Sybil attack but I think it should be feasible.

Note that IMHO squatting in Namecoin is overstated. So far squatters seem to be quite reasonable. The much larger issue is that so little people actually use .bit domains.
How are you proposing stopping a Sybil attack? The proposal as stated is incredibly vulnerable to such an attack.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: NMC price and domain hoarding

Post by phelix » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:33 am

biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:
sudoquai wrote: 5) I could make a diagram - i've thought this idea would be clear. I mean a Facebook-Like "Like" System. Example: You've collected over Namecoin 1000 Likes (maybe for FreeSpeech or whatever). That means 1000 Likes are assigned from different /id Names to /id biolizard. Now somebody is going to register a new name. Instead of destroying NMC the wallet decides to give the fees to all people with likes in the NMC network. The one with the most likes will get the most. That means, that NOT you only as a developer is getting fees, the system decides dynamically who is getting the fees by looking up Likes assigned to /id Names. Everybody has the chance to get the fees. This would be a big game changer - don't underestimate this suggestion.
+1

It's like distributing fees via a web of trust. One would have to take action against a Sybil attack but I think it should be feasible.

Note that IMHO squatting in Namecoin is overstated. So far squatters seem to be quite reasonable. The much larger issue is that so little people actually use .bit domains.
How are you proposing stopping a Sybil attack? The proposal as stated is incredibly vulnerable to such an attack.
split to here: https://forum.namecoin.info/viewtopic.p ... 710#p12710
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

Post Reply