Domain keepalive key ??

AliceWonder

Domain keepalive key ??

Post by AliceWonder »

Is it possible to authorize a private key to renew but not change domain details?

Use case:

Jaywalking is illegal in the United States.
I want to put up a web site about Jaywalking.

I have friend I trust in Australia.

Friend in Australia has actual private key that can make changes to jaywalking.bit even though he doesn't ever jaywalk or run the site.
Friend signs a key I have that allows me to keep the domain from expiring.

That way if feds bust me, they can't force me to give up private key because I don't have it. Australia is outside their jurisdiction so they can't force friend to give up key, and friend has done nothing illegal in Australia so feds can't get Australia to force friend to give up private key.

Scenario requires trust between me and foreign friend but since technically he owns the key, not me, I can't be jailed on contempt when key is not divulged because it is not my domain, I only have authority to renew it exactly as is, authority easily revoked by friend.

Is that possible?

foglight

Re: Domain keepalive key ??

Post by foglight »

to renew the name (and associated info), you just do a name_update tx. If you do not change anything, it keeps the info in the value field the same as the previous entry. and of course, your friend can store the wallet.dat file and click the buttons.

domob

Post by domob »

It is not possible, but there have been ideas floating around for some time to implement exactly this - as you point out, it can be very useful from a security point of view. (Not just in the scenario you describe, but also to keep the "real" keys in cold storage.) You can probably emulate this somewhat by preparing some updates as raw transactions. Then broadcast them whenever you want to renew the domain.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

As domob says, there is some work going on in this area. ryan-c, Luke-Jr, Pitbull, and I have been discussing exactly how this would be implemented. It appears that implementing a new script opcode would probably be sufficient; this would only be a softfork.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

ryanc

Post by ryanc »

You can implement this today by pre-generating a series of signed renewal transactions with nlocktime, but there's not a good tool to do this.