funding

mightbemike

funding

Post by mightbemike »

Lots of different opinions here about damn near everything, but one thing everyone knows - there is not enough money to incentivize development.

I'd like to propose running ads on this forum.

Top banner ad, proceeds going to fund development of Namecoin codebase.
Sidebar ad, proceeds to fund development of primary software like NMC reference client.
Ad at bottom of all pages, proceeds used for bounties.

Somebody had to say it.
NMC: NFhmGAqzRpZbGs3uCPPo7DJKuscuL4Aap2
id/mightbemike

snailbrain

Re: funding

Post by snailbrain »

mightbemike wrote:Lots of different opinions here about damn near everything, but one thing everyone knows - there is not enough money to incentivize development.

I'd like to propose running ads on this forum.

Top banner ad, proceeds going to fund development of Namecoin codebase.
Sidebar ad, proceeds to fund development of primary software like NMC reference client.
Ad at bottom of all pages, proceeds used for bounties.

Somebody had to say it.
Thanks and you are right.. we have just recently been discussing this.

we'll be adding some more detailed donation post/thread/page soon

mightbemike

Post by mightbemike »

An exchange which trades in Namecoin might want to sponsor a banner ad, letting everyone know tat it is listed. I found one and stuck with it. But I would consider other exchanges, I just don't bother to look for them.
id/mightbemike

signup292

Post by signup292 »

Last edited by signup292 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

indolering

Post by indolering »

signup292 wrote: also i don't quite get the 'donate' thing for Namecoin and Bitcoin. these are profit oriented things, people make money when things get done and the platform progresses. most of Namecoin is still controlled by a small percent. i think people need to stop faulting other people for not being 'charitable'.
Sadly, the currency holders are not the people doing the programming. The programmers are all working on Namecoin in addition to their jobs/phd/university gigs.

We really need them to kick in and fund full-time development.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

signup292

Post by signup292 »

Last edited by signup292 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

signup292 wrote:Does anyone know if there was any funding/support when the critical flaw was found in Namecoin back in December?

If so, that would support the idea that Namecoin still has 'important' support from the key holders.

If not, then you're probably right that Namecoin badly needs some new core lovin
I don't think fixing one bug (which was honestly pretty simple to fix) is anywhere near the magnitude of work that still needs to be done.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

mightbemike

Post by mightbemike »

I don't think anyone expects lots of money to come from ads on here. But sometimes people are motivated for pretty small amounts of love.

If an exchange, or a service built on top of Namecoin, or even some commercial software company running a promotion unrelated to NMC would kick in $100 of NMC to see an ad on here it would not be as trivial as it sounds. Nobody will be dropping out of school to work on it fulltime, but at least the devs will feel like there is something, and it might even grow over time.

And if a small amount goes to support bounties, someone donating their time to the cause might just choose a project with some tiny amount of compensation. Someone might even decide to match those bounty amounts too, who knows? I see some people helping to fund bounties now, but clearly looks like more is needed.
id/mightbemike

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

mightbemike wrote:I don't think anyone expects lots of money to come from ads on here. But sometimes people are motivated for pretty small amounts of love.

If an exchange, or a service built on top of Namecoin, or even some commercial software company running a promotion unrelated to NMC would kick in $100 of NMC to see an ad on here it would not be as trivial as it sounds. Nobody will be dropping out of school to work on it fulltime, but at least the devs will feel like there is something, and it might even grow over time.

And if a small amount goes to support bounties, someone donating their time to the cause might just choose a project with some tiny amount of compensation. Someone might even decide to match those bounty amounts too, who knows? I see some people helping to fund bounties now, but clearly looks like more is needed.
I agree, if the ads are done properly, they're certainly better than nothing. Only speaking for myself, I'm okay with working for relatively small pay if I consider the work to be both fun and useful (which Namecoin certainly is). I'm not directly involved in handling ads/sponsorships, so someone else will have to chime in here... but I think it's a perfectly workable idea if it's executed carefully.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

indolering

Post by indolering »

At the very least it could be devoted to paying for hosting fees. That basically came from out of our pockets until very recently. I would prefer to not drain NDF on hosing : /
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.