Namecoin's existence, how much time left.

domob

Re: Namecoin's existence, how much time left.

Post by domob »

tosh0 wrote:i don't think it's a threat yet, if nmc has gone this far without development, one only can imagine what will happen if some traders at btc-e or pools, start helping a little with pull requests or tipping. (it's in their own interest)
I don't want to sound negative, but I doubt that any traders will support us any time soon with pull requests. It would be very appreciated if the currency holders (which are none of the dev team, contrary to most "scam coins") would actually fund some development work, though. Maybe they can come forward for this, as you state, it will only help their investment!
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

e234679

Post by e234679 »

probably right about support from trader's.

Despite the fact that Bitcoin, when it came out, was the ONLY way to transfer digital records, or whatever you think it does, it was still worth just about 0 dollars. It's worth billions of dollars the same way paper is worth something, by slowly introducing it as a currency. What use do most people have with random digitally signed traded pieces of data.

We know that Namecoin at its core cannot serve the purpose of Bitcoin, as a 'currency'. Right now it's basically a .bit-Bitcoin application. And with OpenNIC essentially free, non-profit, and more popular, it puts to question of value of Namecoin. dot bit can serve 90% of its purpose today, and doesn't need to be responsible for taking Namecoin back to $3.

Namecoin probably get's most of its value literally from being close to Bitcoin. Other than that, there's a lot of wait and see investors, I doubt it'll drop to $0, and if there's no full force competition attacks, it'll stick around.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

e234679 wrote:probably right about support from trader's.

Despite the fact that Bitcoin, when it came out, was the ONLY way to transfer digital records, or whatever you think it does, it was still worth just about 0 dollars. It's worth billions of dollars the same way paper is worth something, by slowly introducing it as a currency. What use do most people have with random digitally signed traded pieces of data.

We know that Namecoin at its core cannot serve the purpose of Bitcoin, as a 'currency'. Right now it's basically a .bit-Bitcoin application. And with OpenNIC essentially free, non-profit, and more popular, it puts to question of value of Namecoin. dot bit can serve 90% of its purpose today, and doesn't need to be responsible for taking Namecoin back to $3.

Namecoin probably get's most of its value literally from being close to Bitcoin. Other than that, there's a lot of wait and see investors, I doubt it'll drop to $0, and if there's no full force competition attacks, it'll stick around.
If OpenNIC ever gets popular it will be subject to takedowns just like every other centralized linking system. Everyone who used OpenNIC to avoid censorship will then either create a new under-the-radar centralized system (which might work for a little while), or migrate to decentralized systems, of which Namecoin is the clear winner. The people who adopt Namecoin prior to this point are, IMO, likely to see the value of their NMC rise after this happens.

I agree completely that Namecoin isn't a currency in the sense that Bitcoin is, that would be like saying that World of Warcraft is a currency. World of Warcraft and Namecoin both use internal currencies to purchase goods, but their primary purpose isn't to act as a currency. There are some people who use WoW and Namecoin primarily as a currency, but those people aren't using those tools for their intended purpose, and they'd be better off using something that's designed to be a currency.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

Are you guys aware openNIC resolves .bit domains?
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:Are you guys aware openNIC resolves .bit domains?
OpenNIC doesn't resolve .bit domains, they resolve a centralized TLD with the same name as .bit that (right now) happens to be regularly synced from the actual .bit.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

AliceWonder

Post by AliceWonder »

kurt wrote: Namecoin is a massive added boost to Bitcoin it complements it nicely without threatening its supremacy.
WHEN Bitcoin goes Massive Namecoin gets all the exposure it could ever have dreamed of.
Exactly.

The only two crypto-coins I personally care about are bitcoin and namecoin.

The others I see as playgrounds for experimenting which is VERY IMPORTANT and should continue, but to me that is what they are.

Namecoin has value to me because I believe it is the right way for domain names to be assigned. I don't want the feds to be able to seize my bank account (hence bitcoin) or my domain name assets (hence namecoin) - bitcoin doesn't address the DNS issue and it shouldn't.

John Kenney

Post by John Kenney »

It's nowhere near 90% done, there's lots still to do. If you want to turn your risky gamble into an investment then you should fund some development work.