PRIORITY: MAC and ANDROID WALLETS [thread moderated]

kurt

Re: PRIORITY: MAC and ANDROID WALLETS [thread moderated]

Post by kurt »

[/quote]
Extending the wallet with /id for payment to human readable names would be a real killer feature over Bitcoin for example. I think a lot of people would be interested in this.

And of course if it's possible to get .bit domains somehow working on Android - that would be great. I think you know best about it's complexity and the time which it would take approximately to realize it.

As a simple and fast "workaround" i've thought about using a .bit proxy list at the moment like http://bit.no.com or http://bit.pe somehow available and integrated into Android.

For the time it would be maybe the "best" solution to get .bit domains on Android (at least low intrusive and low complexity). I know this is not perfect but it helps increasing interest on .bit domains before a better solution like your FreeSpeechMe solution for Firefox is available for Android.

[/quote]

Fantastic news !

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

sudoquai wrote:

Interesting work; looking forward to hearing more details. Please feel free to consult me about .bit support, and I assume domob would be happy to offer advice about id/ support and/or name transactions. I have some concerns about the security model, but I'll discuss that in a dedicated thread to avoid hijacking this one.
Thank you, please be patient at the moment. I am still working together with the development team of this Wallet to be able to offer a solid product.

Extending the wallet with /id for payment to human readable names would be a real killer feature over Bitcoin for example. I think a lot of people would be interested in this.

And of course if it's possible to get .bit domains somehow working on Android - that would be great. I think you know best about it's complexity and the time which it would take to realize it approximately.

As a simple and fast "workaround" i've thought about using a .bit proxy list at the moment like http://bit.no.com or http://bit.pe somehow available and integrated into Android.

For the time it would be maybe the "best" solution to get .bit domains on Android (at least low intrusive and low complexity). I know this is not perfect but it helps increasing interest on .bit domains before a better solution like your FreeSpeechMe solution for Firefox is available for Android.

Best regards,

Sudo
I would recommend against using a public proxy, for security, scalability, and reliability reasons.

For getting .bit browsing working on Android there are two main components: NMControl and FreeSpeechMe. NMControl uses Python, which is available on Android (although I think the implementation isn't available on F-Droid yet because it's not easy to build from source). It *might* be easy to just copy NMControl onto and Android device and have it "just work." NMControl gives you a DNS server, so you can do basic browsing without FreeSpeechMe, although the feature set is limited to what DNS provides (If Android supports DANE, then TLS would probably work, but I don't know if it does). In any event that would be a good start. I don't know if Android lets you change DNS settings, but I assume it would.

FreeSpeechMe uses either a Firefox extension or XULRunner. Firefox extensions are reportedly easy to port to Android, although I haven't checked into this thoroughly. FreeSpeechMe uses NSS and JS-CTypes for a lot of its functionality, and I don't know whether those exist for Android. (Anyone want to check on this and report back?) XULRunner supposedly exists for Android, but I don't think binaries exist, and documentation is pretty sketchy.

So basically, I'd suggest NMControl as a starting point, and worry about FreeSpeechMe afterward.

If anyone wants to fund a bounty and/or contract, I might be willing to work on this.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

The Schildbach wallet is good. Note that for Namecoin it will be somewhat slower, though, as we don't have bloom filters atm.

Note that IMHO for the near future home based NMC transaction will be much more important than mobile ones. Being able to pay at a bar is not a Namecoin focus... we already have Bitcoin to do that (and I use it regularly btw).

Being able to resolve .bit domains and IDs I am more interested in. Last time I checked it was very difficult to change dns settings on Android. It did not even support the DNS suffix method (suffix servers are probably down atm, anyways). Maybe in the meantime somebody created something like polipo or acrylic for Android, that would be an OK start.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

domob

Post by domob »

biolizard89 wrote:Interesting work; looking forward to hearing more details. Please feel free to consult me about .bit support, and I assume domob would be happy to offer advice about id/ support and/or name transactions. I have some concerns about the security model, but I'll discuss that in a dedicated thread to avoid hijacking this one.
Yes, I'm definitely available for help about id/ and also the internal protocol (like name transactions). Did you already port BitcoinJ fully to the Namecoin blockchain, including name transactions? Or do you support only the SPV model for now (where you don't have to parse name transactions at all if you're only interested in Namecoin as a currency for the moment)? I think the latter should be relatively easy to do, whereas for full name tx support and validating the blockchain, you need to implement much more of the Namecoin specifics.

BTW, "send to name" as a feature will soon be available in Namecoin-Qt - I also believe this is a major advantage that Namecoin has over Bitcoin. Would be cool to have this also on the mobile wallet, of course.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

abstream

Post by abstream »

guys, what is the status of the Android wallet?
Is it open source? where is the repo and can we contribute?

sudoquai

Post by sudoquai »

abstream wrote:guys, what is the status of the Android wallet?
Is it open source? where is the repo and can we contribute?
I agree with you, that there is Android wallet missing, so i've searched a development team to solve this problem.

Due to Namecoin's old codebase this is not an easy job and the development team trying to solve this problem crossed many deadlines and feedback. So i've stopped my own approach of developing an Android wallet for the time, but still interested to pay for a working Android wallet. Sorry.

The other thing you can do is to help Phelix and domob with finishing libcoin (look at github), so it would be maybe easier making a android wallet.

A rebase to latest Bitcoin code is an other option, but the consensus here is, that it is to complex to realize it at the moment.
NameID: id/sudo.wonder >>> Namecoin @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/namecoin.org

sudoquai

Post by sudoquai »

phelix wrote:The Schildbach wallet is good. Note that for Namecoin it will be somewhat slower, though, as we don't have bloom filters atm.

Note that IMHO for the near future home based NMC transaction will be much more important than mobile ones. Being able to pay at a bar is not a Namecoin focus... we already have Bitcoin to do that (and I use it regularly btw).

Being able to resolve .bit domains and IDs I am more interested in. Last time I checked it was very difficult to change dns settings on Android. It did not even support the DNS suffix method (suffix servers are probably down atm, anyways). Maybe in the meantime somebody created something like polipo or acrylic for Android, that would be an OK start.
NMC is a cryptocurrency - not used widely at the moment, but it is. So it speaks nothing against an Android wallet or people trying to realize it, it's just another OS helping increasing Namecoin's adoption. But i agree clearly with Phelix, that it would not be easy to integrate .bit domain support for the Android wallet (but not impossible). One thing i've seen that there is better support for DNS settings at the newest Android version - just check it out if you have some time.

As domob pointed out, a support for Namecoin Identity would be more interesting as the next step, but at the moment i think they are more important things to solve. My approach was ment as a help from my side.

Regards,

Sudo.
NameID: id/sudo.wonder >>> Namecoin @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/namecoin.org

HashEngineering

Post by HashEngineering »

This is my post regarding my recently created Android Wallet for Namecoin.

https://forum.namecoin.info/viewtopic.php?t=2154
Hash Engineering Solutions (http://hashengineeringsolutions.com)
BTC: 19AM3mZ75h7pqwuFpcjudemnWZhsXhCjm
NMC: Mz1eQ1BA5tJqVpmnCbRyAExdEcwYpp7xyz