maybe Namecoin's crash to $1 a good thing..

biolizard89

Re: maybe Namecoin's crash to $1 a good thing..

Post by biolizard89 »

Swedespade wrote:
However, I don't really expect a serious response from you since you're obviously a troll who wants people to work for you for free. I'll make a mental note to disregard any of of your requests going forward.
Biolizard...
You should really not be so quick to dismiss others just because of a minor disagreement. So what if traister isn't a super polite linguist, he is trying to put some fire under the devs asses. He has legitimate concerns and is doing his best to find answers.

IMO someone in your positions should respect everyone involved, others are here because they care in some capacity. You don't know who else he knows or who he will talk to in the future. Fact is the guy has a big mouth and has the potential to do wonders for NMC. People like this are entirely necessary.
To be honest I would not have even started production on the 'What is Namecoin?' video without traister and his passion for NMC. No traister = no video.

don't burn bridges.

p.s. gimmi money
You cannot be serious. There is a monumental difference between "not being a super polite linguist" and demanding that other people work for free so that his Namecoins will go up in value. For the record, the other developers are so disgusted by his attitude that they have chosen not even to answer him. He has so far refused to answer any of the points I made. People like that simply cannot be taken seriously.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

traister

Post by traister »

biolizard89 wrote:
Swedespade wrote:
However, I don't really expect a serious response from you since you're obviously a troll who wants people to work for you for free. I'll make a mental note to disregard any of of your requests going forward.
Biolizard...
You should really not be so quick to dismiss others just because of a minor disagreement. So what if traister isn't a super polite linguist, he is trying to put some fire under the devs asses. He has legitimate concerns and is doing his best to find answers.

IMO someone in your positions should respect everyone involved, others are here because they care in some capacity. You don't know who else he knows or who he will talk to in the future. Fact is the guy has a big mouth and has the potential to do wonders for NMC. People like this are entirely necessary.
To be honest I would not have even started production on the 'What is Namecoin?' video without traister and his passion for NMC. No traister = no video.

don't burn bridges.

p.s. gimmi money
You cannot be serious. There is a monumental difference between "not being a super polite linguist" and demanding that other people work for free so that his Namecoins will go up in value. For the record, the other developers are so disgusted by his attitude that they have chosen not even to answer him. He has so far refused to answer any of the points I made. People like that simply cannot be taken seriously.
First of all you didn't make any points. All you did was talk about money like you always do so I have nothing to answer to you. You are completely missing the point and sound extremely arrogant. This is not about me demanding anyone work for free so "my" NMC will go up in value. I would assume that you and all the devs would own NMC as well and would want the same and this would be your motivation. But I dont see any motivation from you. Ive just seen you complain about wanting to get paid and how your to busy. Not to mention the fact you were like to think your time is worth 50 thousand dollars before even completing anything. Ive said it before and I will say it again. You are part of the problem and should not be on dev team. I have nothing left to say to you as I cant take you serious. Ill speak with the other devs since they DID respond to me and hopefully fix this problem that not only I am having.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

traister wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
Swedespade wrote:Biolizard...

don't burn bridges.

p.s. gimmi money
First of all you didn't make any points. All you did was talk about money like you always do so I have nothing to answer to you. You are completely missing the point and sound extremely arrogant. This is not about me demanding anyone work for free so "my" NMC will go up in value. I would assume that you and all the devs would own NMC as well and would want the same and this would be your motivation. But I dont see any motivation from you. Ive just seen you complain about wanting to get paid and how your to busy. Not to mention the fact you were like to think your time is worth 50 thousand dollars before even completing anything. Ive said it before and I will say it again. You are part of the problem and should not be on dev team. I have nothing left to say to you as I cant take you serious. Ill speak with the other devs since they DID respond to me and hopefully fix this problem that not only I am having.
I'll ignore your post since you have no interest in advancing the conversation and are flat-out lying on multiple points. For the record in case anyone's reading, I own approximately 9 NMC. I'm not developing this for the purpose of making a huge risky investment pay off monetarily. I'm developing this because I support free speech, privacy, and security online. The work I'm doing which gets funding from the Indiegogo is being billed *way* below what my time is worth on the market. To the point that I'm paying for college mostly via scholarships and money that my parents saved (which quite frankly isn't sustainable seeing as my dad is retiring in a month and my mom is an unpaid activist), despite spending almost all of my time coding and otherwise working to advance Namecoin. I've been asked by Facebook and Google to send in resumes, with at least one offer to fast-track my application. They would be paying me a shitload more than I'm getting from the Indiegogo campaign. (Full disclosure: the remainder of my time not being spent on Namecoin is volunteering at an educational robotics program for middle and high schoolers, which, while fun and, in my opinion, important and useful, is also done for free. A very small percentage of my time this summer is also spent on getting some schoolwork out of the way for next semester... that school project is also a decentralization / free speech project, and it hasn't gotten nearly as much time as it deserves because Namecoin has higher priority.) Of the funds raised via Indiegogo, over 2/3 of the USD earmarked for my time has already been used (at a quite low wage). That's even though the fundraiser ended 3 months ago and the aim was to keep the project going for a year. The $50,000 goal is far below the budgets of many nonprofits in this space (I mentioned this point earlier; go look up the Tor budget and let me know what you find), and was partially based on an estimate from Mikhail Sindeyev regarding how much the rebase would cost (estimated at potentially over $30,000 for that one project). Note that that money wouldn't have gone to me, it would have gone to Mikhail (if we had raised enough to fund the rebase, which we clearly didn't come close to).

I believe you also stated that most people don't like the Namecoin developer team. Want to name some names? So far you're the third person (to my knowledge) to strongly criticize the Namecoin dev team, and the other two people in question were involved in some significant ethics lapses relating to Namecoin which make them and their agenda noncredible. I've met at least an order of magnitude more who think we're doing a pretty good job given the resources available.

I'm confident that 100% of the above is stuff that you either already know or don't care about. I'm only stating it for the benefit of people who may run across your post.

Cheers.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob

Post by domob »

traister wrote:First of all you didn't make any points. All you did was talk about money like you always do so I have nothing to answer to you. You are completely missing the point and sound extremely arrogant. This is not about me demanding anyone work for free so "my" NMC will go up in value. I would assume that you and all the devs would own NMC as well and would want the same and this would be your motivation. But I dont see any motivation from you. Ive just seen you complain about wanting to get paid and how your to busy. Not to mention the fact you were like to think your time is worth 50 thousand dollars before even completing anything. Ive said it before and I will say it again. You are part of the problem and should not be on dev team. I have nothing left to say to you as I cant take you serious. Ill speak with the other devs since they DID respond to me and hopefully fix this problem that not only I am having.
Just for the record, while I don't want to join this discussion, I also want to clarify that I agree with biolizard89 here. I do own a little more than 9 NMC (NMC holds besides BTC the highest share of my crypto-portfolio), but I also only own like 0.001% percent of the market cap. I think the same goes for all others who are actively working on Namecoin right now. So while I do have some kind of interest to increase the exchange rate to profit myself, I also think that the benefit of my work and Namecoin is something else.

I wonder where all those people are who own 99.9% of the Namecoins in existence and why they don't want to give us some more funding instead of whining about Namecoin having a buggy wallet and being not cared about by the devs. For the record, I think that it would help much, much more to fund some bounties (it would motivate me very much, even if the rate paid is less than a "fair value" for my skills), than to "put fire under the devs asses" without actually contributing anything.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

signup292

Post by signup292 »

I curiously asked the same question a while ago, about the top people with hundred's of thousands of dollars in NMC.

I left the thought at basically, they're probably the same people that own most of Bitcoin, and probably too busy with Bitcoin, because they don't think NMC will be eliminated soon.

I don't think there is a real threat to NMC's existence at this point. There's no Litecoin version of Namecoin is there?

However, I think Namecoin has just this year left before some big investor forks the Namecoin idea, and hires a full time dev team. It wouldn't eliminate NMC altogether, but it would eliminate Namecoin from becoming the mainstream decentralized name registrar.

Still got time.

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

biolizard89 and domob, you are great developers of Namecoin and we know that you are doing it to support freedom.
They are probably 3 different issues.
- Don't let yourself provoked because:
https://forum.namecoin.info/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1669
- Probably many people are just not aware that Namecoin developers are not payed like Bitcoin developer.
- Namecoin stack holders are probably just speculators and not investors like Bitcoin stack holders, who are aware that they need to do something for their investment to go forward.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

traister

Post by traister »

domob wrote:
traister wrote:First of all you didn't make any points. All you did was talk about money like you always do so I have nothing to answer to you. You are completely missing the point and sound extremely arrogant. This is not about me demanding anyone work for free so "my" NMC will go up in value. I would assume that you and all the devs would own NMC as well and would want the same and this would be your motivation. But I dont see any motivation from you. Ive just seen you complain about wanting to get paid and how your to busy. Not to mention the fact you were like to think your time is worth 50 thousand dollars before even completing anything. Ive said it before and I will say it again. You are part of the problem and should not be on dev team. I have nothing left to say to you as I cant take you serious. Ill speak with the other devs since they DID respond to me and hopefully fix this problem that not only I am having.
Just for the record, while I don't want to join this discussion, I also want to clarify that I agree with biolizard89 here. I do own a little more than 9 NMC (NMC holds besides BTC the highest share of my crypto-portfolio), but I also only own like 0.001% percent of the market cap. I think the same goes for all others who are actively working on Namecoin right now. So while I do have some kind of interest to increase the exchange rate to profit myself, I also think that the benefit of my work and Namecoin is something else.

I wonder where all those people are who own 99.9% of the Namecoins in existence and why they don't want to give us some more funding instead of whining about Namecoin having a buggy wallet and being not cared about by the devs. For the record, I think that it would help much, much more to fund some bounties (it would motivate me very much, even if the rate paid is less than a "fair value" for my skills), than to "put fire under the devs asses" without actually contributing anything.

Im going to try to answer this in the nicest way possible.

Many people dont back NMC mainly because of the dev team. For the last 7 months many of the early crypto adapters have been pointing fingers at the NMC dev team for not caring or putting in the time needed. I know this because ive had many arguments and debates trying to defend u guys... I mean look what happened on OCT 15. The bug was found not even from any of the NMC team and look how it affected the price. It crashed the price by half and made it so that in NOV it didnt even recover to its old NMC/BTC price... You think investors want in on something they feel there is a lack of motivation and development? Specially when just around the corner are 100s of new coins and new developers eager to get in the game( Dont get me wrong I know most are scams) You guys need to stop focusing on who wants to donate and just get the jobs done that need to be done. Its unfortunate that you only own 9 NMC.. Now I see why there is the lack of motivation. To me when I hear about all you devs talk about being poor and not having any NMC that just completely does not make sense to me considering most of you have been working on this project for a couple years and are most likely early adopters and would either have alot of coins or money. I know that I would have. Anyways I just want to best for NMC. I come off as an ass or rude because I care and nobody else has the balls to actually stand up and be honest. There is way to much denial going on..
Last edited by traister on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traister

Post by traister »

I'll ignore your post since you have no interest in advancing the conversation and are flat-out lying on multiple points. For the record in case anyone's reading, I own approximately 9 NMC. I'm not developing this for the purpose of making a huge risky investment pay off monetarily. I'm developing this because I support free speech, privacy, and security online. The work I'm doing which gets funding from the Indiegogo is being billed *way* below what my time is worth on the market. To the point that I'm paying for college mostly via scholarships and money that my parents saved (which quite frankly isn't sustainable seeing as my dad is retiring in a month and my mom is an unpaid activist), despite spending almost all of my time coding and otherwise working to advance Namecoin. I've been asked by Facebook and Google to send in resumes, with at least one offer to fast-track my application. They would be paying me a shitload more than I'm getting from the Indiegogo campaign. (Full disclosure: the remainder of my time not being spent on Namecoin is volunteering at an educational robotics program for middle and high schoolers, which, while fun and, in my opinion, important and useful, is also done for free. A very small percentage of my time this summer is also spent on getting some schoolwork out of the way for next semester... that school project is also a decentralization / free speech project, and it hasn't gotten nearly as much time as it deserves because Namecoin has higher priority.) Of the funds raised via Indiegogo, over 2/3 of the USD earmarked for my time has already been used (at a quite low wage). That's even though the fundraiser ended 3 months ago and the aim was to keep the project going for a year. The $50,000 goal is far below the budgets of many nonprofits in this space (I mentioned this point earlier; go look up the Tor budget and let me know what you find), and was partially based on an estimate from Mikhail Sindeyev regarding how much the rebase would cost (estimated at potentially over $30,000 for that one project). Note that that money wouldn't have gone to me, it would have gone to Mikhail (if we had raised enough to fund the rebase, which we clearly didn't come close to).

I believe you also stated that most people don't like the Namecoin developer team. Want to name some names? So far you're the third person (to my knowledge) to strongly criticize the Namecoin dev team, and the other two people in question were involved in some significant ethics lapses relating to Namecoin which make them and their agenda noncredible. I've met at least an order of magnitude more who think we're doing a pretty good job given the resources available.

I'm confident that 100% of the above is stuff that you either already know or don't care about. I'm only stating it for the benefit of people who may run across your post.

Cheers.

Maybe if you owned more then 9 NMC you would be going on exchanges and would see the bad things that people talk about the dev team...

ryanc

Post by ryanc »

traister wrote:To me when I hear about all you devs talk about being poor and not having any NMC that just completely does not make sense to me considering most of you have been working on this project for a couple years and are most likely early adapters and would either have alot of coins or money.
Your assumption is false. The devs currently working on Namecoin have mostly only recently (6-12 months) become involved.

traister

Post by traister »

ryanc wrote:
traister wrote:To me when I hear about all you devs talk about being poor and not having any NMC that just completely does not make sense to me considering most of you have been working on this project for a couple years and are most likely early adapters and would either have alot of coins or money.
Your assumption is false. The devs currently working on Namecoin have mostly only recently (6-12 months) become involved.
Sure maybe some. I see Biolizard has been here since 2012. And the guy only has 9 NMC? If I knew about NMC in 2012 I would not have any worries now and would not be bugging people and demanding people donate. Something just does not add up here. One of the Devs must have been the guy who started NMC therefore were one of the first adopters. Im going to guess Khal? I do not doubt that 1 of the Devs are holding a shitload of NMC that they most likely mined from back in the day. And if not because they sold it well that is their problem. Now knowing all of this and taking the price of NMC over the last year into consideration... It makes me feel like you guys are completely unorganized and cannot be trusted with donations and money...