The "NameCoin" Name

MikesMechanix

The "NameCoin" Name

Post by MikesMechanix »

I was just writing to the Bitcoin forum and came to the realization that NameCoin is quite an unsexy name.

What if:
- Rename it to "NoCoin" (as in NoSQL) or "DBCoin" (as in dot-bit or database coin) or something...
- Call it a decentralized (hierarchical?) key-value database cloud or something fancy like that

Don't know if I'm way off... But just thinking the "name" thing is kind of narrow and only confuses anyone who doesn't know what DNS is.

tehdely

Re: The "NameCoin" Name

Post by tehdely »

I think the unit of currency itself should continue to be called a NameCoin/NMC.

But I agree, it's not a very sexy name for the project as a whole.

BitName?

Alf

Post by Alf »

BitName is better, is pretty

imperi

Post by imperi »

How about 'unicoin', for registering unique names. Also it sounds like "unicorn", which you could make pictures for and would have massive viral appeal (similar to geico).

Chrikao

Post by Chrikao »

I like "Namecoin." It's to the point and punny.. :D

BitName or Unicoin might make a good name for an NMC related business or service.

ribuck

Post by ribuck »

I like "NameCoin". It is as good or better than any of the alternative names proposed here.

davux

Post by davux »

Other ideas for the brainstorming:

- DDNS (Decentralized DNS)?
- bDNS
- bitDNS

I think the "decentralized" part is very important, because it's what people care about. Not so many people it's based on Bitcoin, and it's not the point. The actual point is that it's really decentralized, which is much more fair that the current DNS system, and that it's based on a peer-to-peer architecture.

gigabytecoin

Post by gigabytecoin »

imperi wrote:How about 'unicoin', for registering unique names. Also it sounds like "unicorn", which you could make pictures for and would have massive viral appeal (similar to geico).
I have heard too many references to bitcoins, unicorns, and rainbows to second that suggestion ;)

aqs

Post by aqs »

How about bitness?

i.e. ness reffering to DNS and bit well DNS created out of bits :)