Creative BitNym copyright licence: feedback requested

pibara

Creative BitNym copyright licence: feedback requested

Post by pibara »

Just updated the technical description of what I plan to do with whe (work in progress) Creative BitNym licence concept.

http://pibara.github.io/bitnym/

Before I continue by creating tooling for managing Creative BitNym pseudonyms and licences/deeds, I would really like to make sure that I'm on the right track and not making major oversights that may be hard to fix when I have a substantial code-base.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

drllau

Re: Creative BitNym copyright licence: feedback requested

Post by drllau »

Interesting concept, approaching copyright notice as a state machine (though given the mashable nature electronic works and decomposition into elements suggest looking at Hierarchical State Machines which support nesting). Copyright worked well when it was the publishers and professionals doing it as the legal system could take care of conflicts. Now with ordinary people and a whole bunch of cultural issues (some aboringal people forbid you to use photo of a dead member of tribe) it's gotten more complicated. Having a deterministic way to resolve some of the disagreements would be useful but it depends on whether it can be adopted by mainstream.

Let's take simple example (s) where the state depends on a factual input of the author
- works fall into public domain 90 years after death of "author"
- art works appreciate in value once artist dies (ie finite supply = limited editions)
- in some locations, works (eg photos) need to disappear upon death (recall scene in "back to the future")

potentially a state machine can handle these cases better than a registry/collective works IT framework.